What you need to know
- macOS Monterey 12.3 Beta 3 makes it easier to discover and set up Universal Control.
- The feature allows users to seamlessly work across their Mac and iPad.
- macOS Monterey 12.3 is expected to announce early this spring.
As spotted by 9to5Mac, the update to macOS brings some changes to Universal Control, Apple's new feature that makes working between a Mac and iPad as seamless as possible. Today's update specifically focuses on making it easier to discover and configure the feature in System Preferences.
Before, users would have to navigate to the Advanced option in the Displays pane of the System Preferences app in order to find and set up Universal Control. In the third beta of macOS Monterey 12.3, Apple has added a Universal Control option right in the Displays settings area.
Upon clicking on this button, users have the following options to choose from regarding the feature:
- Allow your cursor and keyboard to move between any nearby Mac or iPad: Your cursor and keyboard can be used on any nearby Mac or iPad signed in to your iCloud account.
- Push through the edge of a display to connect to a nearby Mac or iPad: Allow the cursor to connect to a nearby Mac or iPad by pushing against the edge of the display.
- Automatically reconnect to any nearby Mac or iPad: Allow this Mac to automatically reconnect to any nearby Mac or iPad you've previously connected to.
It's currently unclear when Apple will roll out the public release of macOS Monterey 12.3 but rumors point to an early spring launch. The same is expected for iPadOS 15.4.
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.
Get the best of iMore in in your inbox, every day!
Thank you for signing up to iMore. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.