Procreate, the amazing drawing software for the iPad, has just reached version 3 which brings support for the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. With this, you'll now be able to create canvases of up to 16,000 pixels in a single direction for you to make your drawings even bigger.
Additionally, Procreate 3 introduces Quickline, a new way to create straight lines, as well as new cinema-quality image effects, and much more. A full list of the changes in Procreate 3 include:
- Breakthrough resolution with up to 16K by 4K on iPad Pro, and 8K by 4K on Air 2. That's canvases with more Ks than you've ever had before.
- We don't often add new tools; but when we do, they're things we know you want. Pause at the end of your stroke and Quickline will help you create precise straight lines without lifting a finger.
- One does not simply integrate Apple Pencil, so we've added predictive touch, coalesced touches, pressure sensitivity, and customizing modes for Pencil and multi-touch input.
- Brush settings have been added specifically for Apple Pencil; Accumulation, Flow, Tilt, and Azimuth. There are 8 new Artistic brushes to show off your hot, new capabilities.
- We made a cool new feature early in development and literally forgot about it until final testing. Now you can paint on brush previews to quickly test out all the new brush settings without having to paint on your canvas.
- Make your stylus work for you. Adjust the pressure curve of any supported stylus to tailor it to your personal style.
- Relive your artistic journey right there in the canvas. You can now Instant Replay your artwork without needing to export.
- We've made it easier to make things look like they're going by really fast. Procreate 3 includes Motion Blur and fully customizable Perspective Blur: a Procreate exclusive.
- Support for iOS9's multitasking allows your friends to keep distracting you while you paint. In compact Split View Preview mode, you'll just be able to admire your artwork.
- For the seventh time, we've made Procreate's sidebar even better. You can now move the sidebar to wherever works best for you.
- Convoluted gestures have been replaced by simple taps; undo (2 fingers), redo (3 fingers), and fullscreen (4 fingers). So now you could, I don't know, hold a pencil or something. The 1:1 ratio gesture has left to pursue other opportunities.
- Canvas rotations no longer have a strange wibble. Nobody likes strange wibbles.
- The new San Francisco font has been implemented throughout Procreate to help you read good.
- If you always want the shiniest, new things you can purchase our Early Access tools before they go free into the next Procreate release. This time it's new Perspective Guide tools to help you paint in another dimension. You can create grids for up to 3-point perspective by tapping to add vanishing points. Perspective Guide Assist snaps your strokes to the guide.
Procreate 3 is available now through the App Store for $5.99.
- $5.99 - Download Now
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Jared started off writing about mobile phones back when BlackBerry ruled the market, and Windows Mobile was kinda cool. Now, with a family, mortgage and other responsibilities he has no choice but to look for the best deals, and he's here to share them with you.