Skip to main content

Apple store fire sees Glasgow mall evacuated

Braehead
Braehead (Image credit: Apple)

What you need to know

  • An Apple Store fire caused a shopping mall to be evacuated on Tuesday.
  • Fire crews were called to Apple Braehead in Glasgow because of a smoking battery.

A fire at an Apple store in Glasgow caused the Braehead shopping mall to be evacuated on Tuesday.

Shoppers were evacuated from the Western end of the Braehead Shopping Centre on Tuesday at around 4:20 pm local time. A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson told iMore:

"We were alerted at 4.22pm on Tuesday, February 8 to reports of fire affecting retail premises at Braehead Shopping Centre, Glasgow."Operations control immediately mobilised four fire engines to the location and firefighters extinguished the fire."Crews left the scene at 4.53pm after ensuring the area was made safe."

The alert was caused by a smoking battery, likely from a repair device that had come through the store's Genius Bar.

Instances of inflated or ruptured batteries are not uncommon at Apple stores and often come across the Genius Bar for repair. Apple store staff on both the Genius Bar and its Operations team are trained in procedures to handle swollen or potentially dangerous batteries to avoid such incidents, for example, some stores use a "battery safe" to contain potentially dangerous or volatile units.

Apple's Braehead store is one of two stores the company operates in Glasgow and one of four Scotland stores. The Braehead store is open today for its normal working hours despite yesterday's incident.

Stephen Warwick
Stephen Warwick

Stephen Warwick has written about Apple for five years at iMore and previously elsewhere. He covers all of iMore's latest breaking news regarding all of Apple's products and services, both hardware and software. Stephen has interviewed industry experts in a range of fields including finance, litigation, security, and more. He also specializes in curating and reviewing audio hardware and has experience beyond journalism in sound engineering, production, and design.

Before becoming a writer Stephen studied Ancient History at University and also worked at Apple for more than two years. Stephen is also a host on the iMore show, a weekly podcast recorded live that discusses the latest in breaking Apple news, as well as featuring fun trivia about all things Apple.

1 Comment
  • A smoking battery, while a definite issue, is a bit different than a fire at the Apple Store.