Let's tackle it together!
Disclaimer: As with any repair, iMore can not be held responsible for any damage you may do to your device. It's also worth considering that opening up your device to perform any repair or modification can and will void your Apple warranty. If you don't feel comfortable opening your device, don't. With this specific repair, please take care not to puncture or bend the battery in any way as it could be a potential fire hazard. Use extreme care and caution when performing a repair on any device.
What You need for a DIY battery swap
We recommend using only quality and genuine parts from a reputable supplier like iFixYouri. They have the parts, tools, and all your other repair needs.
- Replacement battery
- 5-point security screwdriver
- Standard #000 Phillips screwdriver
- Spudger tool
- iSesamo Opening tool (not necessary but awesome for prying up cables and getting under adhesive)
How to remove the back of your iPhone 4
- First remove the bottom 2 dock connector screens in your iPhone 4. Use either your #00 screwdriver or the five point depending on whether or not your iPhone 4 has security screws in the dock connector. Almost all newer devices will have security screws.
- To remove the back simply slide the back upwards and lift it off gently.
- Set the back and 2 dock connector screws aside.
How to remove the old battery of your iPhone 4
- To remove the old battery you'll need to remove the #00 screw holding the battery clip in place. Remove this screw located to the bottom left of the battery.
- The metal clip on the battery is what clips the battery to the logic board. You'll need to pop this clip up with your plastic pry tool. Simply stick the end of your pry tool underneath the clip and gently pull upwards until it unfastens from the logic board.
- To remove the battery, I do not recommend using the plastic pull tab. There is quite a bit of adhesive underneath the battery and the tab will normally just rip off or you can bend the battery. Instead, run your pry tool along the right side of the battery and break the adhesive that way. Once the battery is free from the adhesive, you can pull the old battery out of the phone. There are no other connectors holding it in.
- As a side note, there is a tiny grounding clip that sits right where you unscrewed your battery from. Do NOT lose this clip. It grounds your cellular antenna. You will need to make sure it is in place before installing the new battery.
How to install a new battery in your iPhone 4
- Make sure your grounding clip is in place. It should be lined up with your #00 screw hole for your battery. It goes under your battery clip.
- Once your grounding clip is lined up you can snap your new battery in place. Just line up the clip on the battery to where it gets seated on the logic board and snap it down. You should hear it click into place.
- Set the new battery in place and line it up.
- Replace the #00 screw that holds the battery and grounding clip in place.
How to put the back cover back on your iPhone 4
- Place your iPhone 4 back cover back on by lining up the clips and sliding it down into place. It should fall directly into the track. It should be easy to slide it into place.
- Put the two dock connector screws back in.
That's it. You now have a new battery inside your iPhone 4! Have you done this repair yourself? Let us know how it went!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Hell froze over, pigs flew, and Google added Split View to Gmail for iPad
Google's reputation for being awfully slow to adding support for new iOS features is well earned but it's now added support for Split View on iPad. And it only took five years.
'Greyhound' star Tom Hanks isn't a fan of the movie's Apple TV+ debut
Tom Hanks stars in "Greyhound," a movie that should have been hitting cinemas. But COVID-19 put paid to that and Hanks isn't happy he's had to settle for Apple TV+.
Keep your gear charged with this 10000mAh USB-C power bank down to just $9
This power bank features both 18W PD USB-C and Quick Charge 3.0 USB-A ports. It's slim and light and can refill most modern phones at least twice over making it a perfect addition to your daily carry. Use the below coupon to save.
Wear your Pride on your porch with these delightful decorations
Whether you want to show off your personal pride this Pride Month, or just want to show you're an ally supporting the LGBTQ+ community, what better way to do so than decorate the front of your home? We've got some awesome items that will shout Pride loud and proud to any and all passersby.