How do I turn on and use Maps extensions on my iPhone or iPad?
iOS 10 is making it easier to get more out of the Maps app, by allowing third-party apps to add extensions. The primary purpose of app extensions is to give you the ability to do things like book a reservation at a restaurant or call for a ride from services like Uber, without having to leave Maps. This kind of integration frees up your precious time, by cutting out the need to switch between different apps to accomplish your goals.
How to enable Maps extensions on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Settings app from your Home screen.
- Tap Maps.
Tap the On/Off switch next to the extension you want to enable. Green means it's on.
Note: If you don't see the app you are looking for underneath the extensions section in the Settings menu, make sure your apps are updated to the latest version that supports iOS 10.
How to use Maps extensions on iPhone and iPad
Every Maps extension is going to work a little differently, but to give you a rough idea of how they work, I will use OpenTable to show you how it can work.
- Launch Maps from your Home Screen.
- Tap the search bar
Start typing in the name of the restaurant you want.
- Tap on the option you want
Tap the Reservations: OpenTable button.
From here you can arrange all the details of your reservation, including what time, the number of people coming and even write special request. After your information is all entered, you will be redirected to the OpenTable app to confirm your reservation.
Do you like Maps extensions?
Are you enjoying this new feature? What is your favorite Maps extension so far? Let us know in the comments below!
- What's new in the Maps app
- How to find locations and get directions with Maps
- How to share location and directions with Maps
- How to delete your search history and prior destinations in Maps
- How to use Siri with Maps
- How to enable and use Maps extensions
- Best Maps app extensions
- How to change settings for Maps
- How to report a problem in Maps
- How to use Maps with CarPlay