Mono audio is an Accessibility feature that makes sure, even if you're hard of hearing or deaf in one ear, you never miss a word, note, or sound when listening to your iPhone or iPad with a headset on. Typical stereo audio includes distinct left and right channels, so different ears get different sounds. Mono audio makes sure both ears get all the sound. You can also adjust the volume independently for either ear, so you everything from audio books to podcasts to songs to videos come in loud and clear.
Note: You can also use mono audio if a podcast or other audio file you're listening to has mistakenly put one panelist in the wrong channel, all panelists in only one channel, or not properly balanced the volume between channels.
How to enable mono audio on iPhone and iPad for those with hearing impairments
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Under the Hearing section, turn On the option for Mono Audio.
That's it! Now whenever you use headphones with your iPhone or iPad, you should notice that all audio comes through both channels. If you favor one ear over the other, you can also adjust the slider underneath the Mono Audio option in order to increase volume in a particular ear.
How to get more help with accessibility for iPhone and iPad
- How to use voice control with Siri for iPhone and iPad
- How to have your screen read with VoiceOver for iPhone and iPad
- How to magnify your screen with zoom on your iPhone or iPad
- How to invert screen colors on iPhone and iPad
- How to have text read with speak selection on your iPhone and iPad
- How to hear your corrections with speak auto-text for visual accessibility on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase legibility with large and bold text on iPhone and iPad
- How to make buttons more tappable by enabling shape outlines on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase contrast on iPhone and iPad
- How to prevent vertigo by reducing motion on your iPhone and iPad
- How to make toggles more visible by enabling on/off button labels on iPhone and iPad
- How to use FaceTime to make video calls on your iPhone or iPad
- How to connect to hearing aids on your iPhone or iPad
- How to use the LED flash as a visible notification light on your iPhone
- How to enable mono audio on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable subtitles and captioning on iPhone or iPad
- How to lock attention to a specific app with Guided Access for iPhone and iPad
- How to enable AssistiveTouch on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable switch control on iPhone and iPad
- How to adjust Home-click speed on iPhone and iPad
- How to set the triple-click Home button shortcut on iPhone and iPad
- Accessibility help and discussion forum