The built-in Voice Memo app can be handy for recording lengthy thoughts or instructions. After finishing your Voice Memo you can easily share it with someone else as an iMessage or SMS. Once they receive it they'll be able to play it directly through the Messages app.
How to send a voice memo through iMessage on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Voice Memo app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the voice memo you'd like to send in order to expand it.
- Tap on the Share button.
- Now tap on the Message icon.
- Type in the name of the person you'd like to send it to and select them.
- Now tap on the Send button.
If the recipient isn't using an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, but another smartphone like Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, or even a feature phone, they won't be able to receive an iMessage but might get the file anyway as an MMS message. If they do, whether or not they can play the audio will depend on what kind of file formats their device supports. (Voice Memo files are in .m4a -- or mp4 audio format.)
How to get more help with iMessage
If you're having issues getting iMessage to activate, get more help at the iMore forums, and for more tips, check out:
- How to enable and activate (or re-activate) iMessage
- How to add additional email addresses to iMessage
- How to copy or forward iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete iMessages on iPhone and iPad
- How to set messages to automatically delete themselves with iMessage
- How to save space on your iPhone or iPad by setting iMessage videos to automatically delete
- How to edit the expiration of audio messages in iMessage
- How to increase privacy with iMessage
- How to send texts using iMessage
- How to use quick reply messaging with iMessage
- How to mute individual message threads in iMessage
- How to leave group messages with iMessage for iPhone and iPad
- How to send photos using iMessage
- How to quickly delete multiple images at once with iMessage
- How to send videos using iMessage
- How to send photo and video selfies in just seconds with iMessage
- How to send a quick voice message with iMessage
- How to quickly share your location using iMessage
- How to send contact cards using iMessage
- How to send map locations using iMessage
- How to send Voice Memos with iMessage
- How to report iMessage spam to Apple
- How to turn on and off read receipts in iMessage
- How to block iMessages on the iPhone or iPad
- How to block iMessages on the Mac
- How to disable iMessage on iPhone if you switch to Android
- Receiving iMessages on iPhone 6 and 6 Plus but not regular texts? Here's how to fix it!