How to send a voice memo using iMessage
The iPhone and iPod touch have a built-in Voice Memo app that can be handy for recording lengthy thoughts or instructions. After finishing your Voice Memo you can easily share it with someone else as an iMessage or SMS. Once they receive it they'll be able to play it directly through the Messages app.
- Launch the Voice Memos app from the Home screen (by default it will be in the Utilities folder on the second page.
- Tap on the Voice Memo you'd like to share.
- Tap the Share button in the bottom left corner and then choose Message.
- Choose the recipient you'd like to send it to and then tap the Send button.
- The recipient will receive an iMessage or text just like they normally would but the file will be attached.
If the recipient isn't using an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, but another smartphone like Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, or even a feature phone, they won't be able to receive an iMessage but might get the file anyway as an MMS message. If they do, whether or not they can play the audio will depend on what kind of file formats their device supports. (Voice Memo files are in .m4a -- or mp4 audio format.)