What does our editorial director, Rene Ritchie, carry with him to cover events? Here's the list!
Apple's annual Mac event takes place on Thursday, October 27, 2016, and I'm about to start packing my bags. Right now, all the gear I'm taking with me is all laid out, ready for a final check. The specifics of that gear has grown, shrunk, and changed over the years. Sometimes I lug a DSLR and lenses as big as a thermos. Other times I try to go iPhone-only. So, what's in the bag this time? And, hey, what's the bag?
- Tumi Alpha Bravo Knox Backpack: Kevin Michaluk recommended this bag to me and I love almost everything about it. It's stylish and small, but holds a ton of gear.
- Travelpro Platinum Magna 2 22-inch: I travel light and try to stick to carry-on. A lot of suitcase recs I've gotten have been too big for the airlines I fly. Travelpro has been perfect. I just wish it didn't have the front section and gave me full depth in the main compartment.
- 13-inch MacBook Pro: This is the portable powerhouse. It doesn't weigh me down but can handle Final Cut Pro like a champ. And yes, I'm taking it to cover its inevitable replacement. Life is cruel!
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro: The baby pro isn't quite as productive as the biggie pro, but what I want for this trip is something easy to work — and sketch — on anywhere.
- Smart Keyboard: I know my colleagues have been wooed by Logitech but I already have a MacBook Pro with me so this is more about sleekness than clickity-clack-ness for me.
- Apple Pencil: For sketching on iPad Pro on the go. Maybe I'll diagram more this year?
- Apple Pen: Picked this up at the Infinite Loop Apple Store. Sadly, customs forms still require ink.
- iPhone 7 Plus: The closest thing yet to a hand computer. I can run almost everything from this, and for an iPhone event, I'll need to. Also: Thanks to the 2x zoom and Portrait Mode, I can even take real product shots now. Swoon.
- iPhone 7: Sounds silly, but because of betas as well as production needs, I typically have two iPhones with me most of the time.
- Smart Battery Case: Still the cleverest — and hence most efficient — battery case in the business.
- Apple Watch Series 2: It's gotten to the point where, if I'm not wearing my Watch, I notice it almost immediately.
- Bose QuietComfort 20 headphones: Yup, they need to be charged and there's a huge dongle on the bottom, but when you flip the switch and the sound of the aircraft engines or din of the coffee shop disappears, you don't care. You just enjoy.
- Apple AirPods: They're not for sale yet at the time of this writing, which makes me a giant jerk for including them, but I'm lucky enough to have a review set and I love them enough that I might not even use the Bose this trip.
- mophie Powerstation: Tons of juice, wrapped in rose gold. Because nothing shreds battery life like roaming ... and I want some west coast Pokémon, dagnabit!
I'm also bringing a bunch of power adapters and cables. There's also a chance I'll add to or change some of this lineup before I jump on the plane. If so, I'll update accordingly.
Either way, the keynote kicks off at 10am PT/1pm ET on Thursday, October 27, 2016 and we'll be bringing it to you live!
Interested in more?
You can see everything I'm currently using — for travel, at home, and in the office — at Kit.com.