Update: While originally reported to have an Apple A8 system-on-a-chip with M8 motion co-proessor, 9to5Mac is now reporting that while such a model is in testing, it's more likely that the "iPhone 5se" will come equipped with the newer A9 and M9.
Original story: Apple is reportedly planning a launch in March or April for a new 4-inch iPhone. While previously rumored under the name "iPhone 6c," this new device will reportedly be called the iPhone se. This phone is said to resemble the iPhone 5s in most ways, though with curved edges in place of the chamfered edges of the older phone.
According to 9to5Mac, the iPhone 5se will feature the following:
- The chamfered, shiny edges have been replaced with curved glass like on the iPhone 6 and 6s lines
- The same 8 megapixel rear camera and 1.2 megapixel front camera systems from the iPhone 6
- Support for larger panoramas and autofocus for video recording
- Barometer for tracking elevation in the Health app
- An NFC chip for Apple Pay
- The A8 and M8 chips from the iPhone 6
- Bluetooth 4.2, VoLTE, and 802.11ac WiFi chips from the iPhone 6s
- Live Photos from the iPhone 6s
- Same Silver, Space Gray, Silver, & Rose Gold color options as the 6s line
Even though the phone is said to have Live Photo support, it will apparently lack a 3D Touch display. Presumably, if this is indeed the case, the iPhone 5se will let users view Live Photos with a long press, as it does now on some other iOS devices without 3D Touch support.
The new 4-inch iPhone is supposedly heading for a March unveiling, with a release in late March or early April.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Joseph Keller is the former Editor in Chief of iMore. An Apple user for almost 20 years, he spends his time learning the ins and outs of iOS and macOS, always finding ways of getting the most out of his iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.