Apple's boss-hating ad was one of the most popular on all of YouTube
What you need to know
- Apple's Escape from the Office ad proved popular on YouTube.
- YouTube has shared the ten most popular ads over the last year.
- A Samsung Galaxy Unpacked ad was top of the pile.
Apple's famous Escape from the Office ad, part of its Apple at Work series, was one of the most popular ads on all of YouTube the company has confirmed. YouTube shared the top-ten ads from the last year, with Apple sitting in eighth place.
As part of Cannes Lions 2022, YouTube shared a list of the most popular ads since last year's festival, with a Samsung Unpacked trailer from August 2021 sitting pretty in the top spot. It was followed by two ads from Switzerland; one for the country itself, and another for watch brand OMEGA.
Other notable entries were the trailer for Netflix smash-hit Squid Game as well as Chevrolet's ad for the first-ever all-electric Silverado. Other entrants include Nissan, Amazon, and Turkish Airlines.
The full rundown of winners reads:
- Galaxy Unpacked August 2021: Official Trailer | Samsung
- No one upstages the Grand Tour of Switzerland | MySwitzerland
- Timekeeping and tradition: OMEGA meets Japan | OMEGA
- Amazon's Big Game Commercial: Mind Reader | Amazon
- Squid Game — Official Trailer | Netflix
- Pangea — Official Film | Turkish Airlines
- Nissan Presents: Thrill Driver | Nissan
- Escape from the Office — Apple at Work | Apple
- Feel the Rhythm of Korea — SEOUL2 | Imagine your Korea
- The First-Ever All-Electric Chevy Silverado – New Generation (The Sopranos) | Chevrolet
You can see all of the videos on YouTube's website, too.
The Apple at Work series follows the same group of people as they use Apple devices and services to get the job done. In this instance, it was to escape their horrible boss and set up shop on their own, with iPads, iPhones, and more helping the group achieve their goals. We get to see the latest MacBook Pro and even Siri pitching in along the way.
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Oliver Haslam has written about Apple and the wider technology business for more than a decade with bylines on How-To Geek, PC Mag, iDownloadBlog, and many more. He has also been published in print for Macworld, including cover stories. At iMore, Oliver is involved in daily news coverage and, not being short of opinions, has been known to 'explain' those thoughts in more detail, too.
Having grown up using PCs and spending far too much money on graphics card and flashy RAM, Oliver switched to the Mac with a G5 iMac and hasn't looked back. Since then he's seen the growth of the smartphone world, backed by iPhone, and new product categories come and go. Current expertise includes iOS, macOS, streaming services, and pretty much anything that has a battery or plugs into a wall. Oliver also covers mobile gaming for iMore, with Apple Arcade a particular focus. He's been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and still struggles to comprehend the fact he can play console quality titles on his pocket computer.