While reaction to the way in which Apple announced the Beatles coming to iTunes has been mixed to negative, the Beatles music on iTunes has been nothing short of best-selling. You can get singles for $1.29, albums for $12.99, or all 13 albums in the Box Set for $150.
I got my hands (and ears) on the box set so
Complete Beatles on iTunes links and gallery, including screenshots of all tracks, iTunes LPs, videos, and some sample artwork below. If you've listened to any of it, especially if you're a longtime Beatles fan, let me know what you think of this edition.
In addition to the Box Set [iTunes link], available albums include:
- Please Please Me [iTunes link]
- With The Beatles [iTunes link]
- A Hard Day's Night [iTunes link]
- Beatles For Sale [iTunes link]
- Help! [iTunes link]
- Rubber Soul [iTunes link]
- Revolver [iTunes link]
- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band [iTunes link]
- Magical Mystery Tour [iTunes link]
- The Beatles (White Album) [iTunes link]
- Yellow Submarine [iTunes link]
- Abbey Road [iTunes link]
- Let It Be [iTunes link]
- Past Masters, Vols. 1 & 2 [iTunes link]
Not included in the Box Set but also available:
- The Beatles 1962–1966 (The Red Album) [iTunes link]
- The Beatles 1967–1970 (The Blue Album) [iTunes link]
As with all iTunes music sold post-Macworld 2009, The Beatles songs are in iTunes Plus format, meaning higher, 256 kbps AAC format and no DRM (though they are likely watermarked with the purchasing iTunes ID account).
All of the albums come in iTunes LP format which means you can go into a rich, HTML 5 interface to listen to the songs, browse through pictures, and watch mini documentaries. While that currently looks great on iTunes on Windows or Mac, the continued lack of support on iOS -- iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Apple TV is disheartening. I imagine Steve Jobs invented this technology so he could lean back against the foot of his bed, iPad in hand, iTunes LP on screen, and swipe through the Beatles artwork while losing the afternoon to their music. We all want it. Let's make it happen.
[gallery link="file" columns="2"]
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.