The other day I noticed an oddity on the Home screen of my iPad 2 One of the magazines that I'm subscribed to decided to jump out of the Newsstand folder and place itself on the Home screen.
I'm not exactly sure what caused this -- maybe it's the fact that I haven't updated this specific subscription since I first downloaded it -- but for whatever reason, after I performed a normal power cycle the magazine decided to randomly plop itself smack dab in the middle of my homescreen.
At first, I attempted to move the magazine icon back into the Newsstand folder, but that didn't work because the icon refused to enter jiggly-mode. In addition, I couldn't delete the subscription app because tap-and-hold wasn't working at all. Another aspect of the bug is that one of my favorite apps, Bloomberg TV+, had been removed from the Home screen completely (although it was still accesible via Spotlight search).
What's more, after performing a full restore of iOS 5.0.1, the same exact thing happened on my iPad, removing the Settings app from my iPhone Home screen not allowing it to to enter jiggly-mode in order to delete the magazine download.
Keep in mind, this bug is not incapacitating, but it is frustrating to see a big fat rectangular icon on your Home screen.
- Magazine and newspaper subscriptions from Newsstand place themselves on the Home screen after reboot or restore
- Upon attempting to remove the magazine/newspaper download, tap-and-hold as well as app deletion no longer works
- Depending on how many subscriptions have this bug, you will lose the same amount of app icons from your Home screen once the problem arises
- Failure to update effected subscription(s) over a certain threshold of time (unconfirmed)
- Perform an additional power cycle after you notice the issue on your iPhone or iPad, then tap-and-hold to remove the effected subscription(s)
We've decided to cross-post this in the TiPb bugs forum to see if anyone else might be running into the same issue. If you know of a simpler fix -- or better yet, a confirmed explanation of what's going on here -- drop a comment in this post or jump into the forums to help other users who may be less fortunate if this specific fix doesn't work out for them.