Chipolo becomes first item tracker to support Apple's Find My network
What you need to know
- Chipolo has announced the special edition ONE Spot.
- The item tracker is the first to support Apple's Find My network.
Today, Apple updated its Find My app with support for third-party products for the first time. As part of that announcement, it was revealed that Chipolo will be one of the first brands to support the private tracking network.
For those who aren't familiar with Chipolo, it is an item-finding company much like Tile who is expected to Apple's biggest competitor if it ever gets around to launching its rumored AirTags tracking product. However, it appears that Chipolo has beaten Tile to the punch in supporting Apple's Find My network.
The company is releasing a special edition Chipolo ONE Spot (opens in new tab) that will allow users to track their belongings with the new Items tab in the updated Find My app. The ONE Spot is small enough that it can be stored in a bag, a wallet, on a keychain, or anything you might want to keep track of.
While Tile charges users for premium features, Chipolo says that the ONE Spot will keep premium features without a subscription or additional fee.
Here is the full feature set of the Chipolo ONE Spot:
- Locate items: Connect the Chipolo ONE Spot with your chosen Apple devices and access the last known locations of items through the Find My app.
- Play sound: If Chipolo ONE Spot is nearby, you can play a sound to easily locate it.
- Lost Mode: Should an item ever go missing, it can be put in Lost Mode and the Find My network will notify the owner when it is located. If a lost Chipolo ONE Spot is found by someone other than the owner, they can use the Find My app on any iPhone to identify it and be taken to a website that will display a simple message and contact phone number that can be used to return it.
- Security: The Apple Find My network uses advanced encryption to ensure that no one else, not even Apple or Chipolo, can view the location of the Chipolo ONE Spot.
- Long Battery Life: A lengthy 12 month time span.
- Replaceable Battery: Reduce waste with the option to replace the battery.
- Loud Sound: A 120dB ring.
- Water Resistant: To survive all unexpected splashes.
Primož Zelenšek, the CEO of Chipolo, says that Chipolo on the Find My network is the best of worlds: tracking while maintaining privacy and security.
The Chipolo ONE Spot will be available for pre-order in May with the first round of orders currently set to ship out in June. It will be available to order on the Chipolo website or at Best Buy. Those who are interested in getting their hands on one as soon as possible can sign up for the waitlist on the Chipolo website (opens in new tab).
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Joe Wituschek is a Contributor at iMore. With over ten years in the technology industry, one of them being at Apple, Joe now covers the company for the website. In addition to covering breaking news, Joe also writes editorials and reviews for a range of products. He fell in love with Apple products when he got an iPod nano for Christmas almost twenty years ago. Despite being considered a "heavy" user, he has always preferred the consumer-focused products like the MacBook Air, iPad mini, and iPhone 13 mini. He will fight to the death to keep a mini iPhone in the lineup. In his free time, Joe enjoys video games, movies, photography, running, and basically everything outdoors.