One of the great little benefits about the recently launched Nintendo Switch Online service is the library of classic NES titles that are free to access with your subscription. As if access to these classic Nintendo titles isn't cool enough, you can also play any of the two-player games online with a friend. What I wouldn't have given for this ability on my original NES...
Anyway, here's how to jump into some of that classic action with a friend.
Hopping into a two-player session with your friend is pretty easy. Here's how to do it.
- First, you need to open the NES Switch Online app which you get access to when you subscribe to the service.
- When you open the app, scroll down on the left until you hit Play Online.
- The Play Online option will show any of your friends that are playing NES games currently.
- Select the friend you would like to join and you will connect to them.
- You can now hop into some awesome classic NES action with your friend.
If you already have a session going and you would like a friend to join you, all they would do is follow the same steps mentioned above.
The app is pretty cut and dry and there aren't a lot of bells and whistles. However, you can applaud at any time by clicking the right stick. The novelty of that can run out pretty quick but a well-timed sarcastic clap can elicit a chuckle at least a few times.
Having the ability to play River City Ransom with a friend clear on the other side of the country is a pretty awesome feature. I am hopeful that the library of classic titles expands a rapid clip because there a ton of other games I would love the chance to play with friends.
Have you tried playing NES games online?
What did you think? Sound off in the comments below.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!