How to trade in your old Mac with Apple GiveBack
If you're looking to get the new iMac Pro you know you're going to be spending a fair chunk of money. Dropping such a large sum all at once on a new machine can be daunting, but if you have an older Mac in good condition that you wouldn't mind parting ways with, you may be able to save some money.
Apple offers a trade-in program known as Apple GiveBack for customers looking to save a little money on their next purchase. With the launch of the iMac Pro, you could get as much as $1,000 for your old iMac or MacBook Pro right now! Here's now the whole thing works.
How much money can I get back?
The estimated trade-in value is determined by a company Apple has partnered with called Phobio. All models have to be from 2009 or newer and in good condition to be considered.
Here's a quick break down of all the devices that apply to the program and the maximum amount of money you could receive for said device.
- Macbook, Macbook Pro, and iMac can fetch up to a maximum of $1000
- iPad and iPad Pro can get earn you a maximum of $250
- An iPhone can only fetch up to $290
- An Apple Watch can net you a return of $175
How will I receive the money?
Apple Giveback only grants you an Apple Store gift card for the agreed upon amount when you trade-in your device, meaning you can only use that gift card at an Apple Store or on the online Apple Store.
How do I make a trade-in?
You can fill out all the necessary information at https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in,#mn_p and it only takes a couple of minutes.
- Go to the Apple Giveback webpage.
- Click on the device you want to trade-in. If you're trading in a Mac you'll click computer.
- Click the manufacturer of your trade-in device. In this case, Apple.
- Enter the Serial Number of the device you want to trade in. You can find the serial number of your Mac by choosing About This Mac from the Apple menu.
- Click Verify.
- Click Yes when it asks you to confirm the device you want to trade-in.
- Click Yes or No for the questions about the condition of your device. There will be a few questions in a row, make sure you read the questions carefully.
- Click Trade it in for a gift card.
- Enter your shipping information.
- Click Finish Up.
Phobio will now send you a prepaid shipping label and supplies in the mail, so you can pack up your old device and mail it back. After the company has received your old device and verified it is in the condition you claimed it was, the Apple Store gift card will be sent back to you.
You also have the option of taking your device directly into an Apple Store — but it appears this is only available in certain markets at the moment so your mileage may vary.
Any other questions about Apple GiveBack?
Let us know in the comments below!
Updated July 2018: Updated with new steps for Apple GiveBack.
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Luke Filipowicz has been a writer at iMore, covering Apple for nearly a decade now. He writes a lot about Apple Watch and iPad but covers the iPhone and Mac as well. He often describes himself as an "Apple user on a budget" and firmly believes that great technology can be affordable if you know where to look. Luke also heads up the iMore Show — a weekly podcast focusing on Apple news, rumors, and products but likes to have some fun along the way.
Luke knows he spends more time on Twitter than he probably should, so feel free to follow him or give him a shout on social media @LukeFilipowicz.