Auto play video is a great way to boost engagement (and views!) but it can force disturbing and even offensive content on unsuspecting users and that's not okay. While auto-play should be opt-in you can opt out, and Twitter makes it possible to turn it off on both the website and the iPhone and iPad app.
How to turn off auto-play video on Twitter for iPhone or iPad
Twitter on your iPhone or iPad is all social until a graphic video starts to play without any warning. Then it's the opposite. Though buried deep, you can turn it off and prevent anything from playing without your active permission.
- Launch Twitter from your Home screen.
- Tap on the Me tab, bottom right.
- Tap on the Settings button beneath your cover image (looks like a gear).
- Tap on Settings.
- Tap on Video autoplay.
- Tap on Never play videos automatically.
- Tap the back arrow to exit.
If you use a different Twitter client, videos might not auto-play by default, but if they do, check the settings.
How to turn off auto-play video on Twitter.com
On the Mac or Windows PC the fastest way to disable auto-play is right on Twitter.com in the browser.
- Launch Safari or your browser of choice.
- Go to twitter.com
- Log in (if you aren't already).
- Clock on your Profile picture.
- Click on Settings in the dropdown menu.
- Uncheck video autoplay under Video Tweets in the Content section.
- Click Save changes at the bottom.
- Enter your Twitter password to confirm
Likewise, if you use a Twitter app, auto-play may be off by default but otherwise check the settings.
Why isn't auto-play off by default?
Great question! Fire off a tweet to @support and ask them to make it just so.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Telegram now supports video calls on iOS
Secure messaging app Telegram now supports fast and secure video calls on iOS.
TikTok ban gets extended to 90 days with new executive order
Under the new executive order from President Trump, ByteDance has 90 days to divest itself from its business in the United States.
'Nineteen Eighty-Fortnite' has been streaming 17+ hours. With Apple ads.
Epic Games isn't letting up in its war with Apple over Fortnite.
Show off your pictures with a smart digital photo frame
A digital photo frame is a logical answer to thousands of pictures on multiple devices. We've rounded up the best right here.