That doesn't mean you can't use multiple Apple Watches with your iPhone if you really want to, but it does mean it'll require some extra work on your part. Basically you need to pair, un-pair, and re-pair with your iPhone every time you switch Apple Watches. Yeah, it's a pain, but if you want a workout and a dress Apple Watch, or a fancy and a casual one, we can walk you through the process!
How to switch from one Apple Watch to another
- Pair your iPhone with your first Apple Watch.
- When you want to switch, un-pair your iPhone from your first Apple Watch using the Apple Watch app. (This will create a backup of your Apple Watch configuration and store it on your iPhone.)
- Pair your iPhone with your second Apple Watch.
- Choose Restore from Backup to preserve as many of your settings and customizations as possible.
- When you want to switch back, un-pair your iPhone from your second Apple Watch using the Apple Watch app.
- Re-pair your first Apple Watch, again choosing Restore from backup.
To continue switching between Apple Watches, you'll need to continue to un-pair and re-pair them. Since backups are stored on the iPhone, most changes you make on one Apple Watch should carry through to the the other.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Rene Ritchie is one of the most respected Apple analysts in the business, reaching a combined audience of over 40 million readers a month. His YouTube channel, Vector, has over 90 thousand subscribers and 14 million views and his podcasts, including Debug, have been downloaded over 20 million times. He also regularly co-hosts MacBreak Weekly for the TWiT network and co-hosted CES Live! and Talk Mobile. Based in Montreal, Rene is a former director of product marketing, web developer, and graphic designer. He's authored several books and appeared on numerous television and radio segments to discuss Apple and the technology industry. When not working, he likes to cook, grapple, and spend time with his friends and family.