The first part of the Pokémon Sword and Shield celebration, The Pokémon Company made it so players can acquire each of the Gen 8 starters with Hidden Abilities. That means you can get a Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble, each with a Hidden Ability. That way, you can have even more fun with one of the best Nintendo Switch games. Here's how to do it.
For the phone part
The mobile counterpart
You'll need to use both the Nintendo Switch and mobile versions of Pokémon HOME if you want to unlock all those extra goodies. Make sure you download the one that works on your phone.
How to get Gen 8 starters with Hidden Abilities
- Open Pokémon HOME on your Nintendo Switch.
- Select Pokémon.
- Select Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield.
- Select Yes.
- Select a Pokémon from your Pokémon Sword or Pokémon Shield boxes on the right.
- Drop it in a Pokémon HOME box on the left.
- Press + to exit.
- Select Save changes and exit.
- A notice will tell you that the boxes have been saved. Press any button. Now it's time to move to your smart phone.
- Open the Pokémon HOME app on your smartphone.
- Tap the screen when the opening menu loads.
- Select the hamburger button in the bottom middle of the screen.
- Select Mystery Gifts.
- Select Gift Box.
- Three unopened boxes will be in the Gift Box. Tap on one.
- You'll see Scorbunny, Sobble, or Grookey. Select Claim.
- You now have the option to nickname the Pokémon. Press No if you don't want to give a nickname or Press Yes if you do.
- Repeat the process for the other two boxes.
- To view your new Hidden Ability starters, press the X button until you return to the main menu.
- Now select the Pokémon tab in the top right of the screen.
- Scroll through your Pokémon until you see the new starters.
- Click on any of the starters to see their stats, including their Hidden Ability, and Nature.
And there you have it. Now you can get the Gen 8 starters, each with a Hidden Ability. When I did this, I received a Modest Sobble with the Hidden Ability Sniper, a Jolly Scorbunny with the Hidden Ability Libero, and an Adamant Grookey with the Hidden Ability Grassy Surge. Now you're good to transfer these three into your Pokémon Sword or Shield game.
I use these Switch accessories. What makes them so great is that they work on both the original Switch and the Switch Lite. They are a great way to round out your gaming experience.
SanDisk 128GB micoSD Card (opens in new tab) ($26 at Amazon)
Give your Switch or Switch Lite additional storage space with this nifty, Mario-themed, 128GB microSD card. That's plenty of space for your downloads, screenshots, and game data.(opens in new tab)
Hori Compact Playstand (opens in new tab) ($13 at Amazon)
This stand is perfect for when you're playing in tabletop mode or when you want to watch Hulu or YouTube on your Switch. It offers three different positions and is sturdier than the Switch's kickstand.(opens in new tab)
Pro Controller (opens in new tab) ($59 at Amazon)
This traditional controller feels better in your hands than Joy-Cons and includes HD rumble, amiibo functionality, and motion controls.