What you need to know
- President Biden is planning to sign executive orders to stop anticompetitive behavior.
- It includes initiatives that could curb the power of Big Tech and companies like Apple.
President Joe Biden will sign an executive order today designed to stop anticompetitive behavior in numerous sectors including Big Tech, possibly impacting companies like Apple and its iOS App Store.
The White House has posted a fact sheet on the executive order titled 'on Promoting Competition in the American Economy', it states:
Regarding technology specifically the orders will target three areas:
- Greater scrutiny of mergers to stop "killer acquisitions" to shut down competitive threats (Facebook buying Instagram and WhatsApp, for instance)
- Rules on surveillance and the accumulation of data to stop large platforms from gaining unfair opportunities over small businesses who need that data to reach customers
- Rules barring unfair methods of competition on internet marketplaces including displaying "copycat products more prominently than the small businesses' products"
President Biden will sign the order later today.
Just a few days ago Biden called on the FTC to introduce new 'Right to Repair' rules in the US:
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Stephen Warwick has written about Apple for five years at iMore and previously elsewhere. He covers all of iMore's latest breaking news regarding all of Apple's products and services, both hardware and software. Stephen has interviewed industry experts in a range of fields including finance, litigation, security, and more. He also specializes in curating and reviewing audio hardware and has experience beyond journalism in sound engineering, production, and design.
Before becoming a writer Stephen studied Ancient History at University and also worked at Apple for more than two years. Stephen is also a host on the iMore show, a weekly podcast recorded live that discusses the latest in breaking Apple news, as well as featuring fun trivia about all things Apple. Follow him on Twitter @stephenwarwick9