How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
If you're having problems with your Apple TV, if Wi-Fi or connectivity is buggy, if it keeps failing to connect or update, if the channels just don't work the way they're supposed to, then restoring it to factory settings can give you a fresh start. Sure, it's the nuclear option but it will also solve most problems, most of the time. If you're suffering, a factory restore is one of your last, best hopes for salvation!
How to restore an Apple TV
- From the main menu of your Apple TV, click on Settings.
- In the next menu choose General.
- Scroll all the way down to the bottom and select Reset.
- Now choose Restore on the next menu.
- Again confirm you'd like to restore your Apple TV by selecting Restore one more time.
That's all there is to it. Your Apple TV will now restore itself to the latest firmware version. The process may take a little while so be patient. Once it's done you can set it up just like you normally would.
If your Apple TV is bricked or isn't responding when you try and perform an on-device restore, you'll need to restore it in iTunes instead.