With Siri, you can add items to your shopping list and share it with someone else who can do the shopping for you.
Siri works great in conjunction with the built-in Reminders app. Not only can Siri create and add reminders to pretty much any list you have, Siri can also make it incredibly easy to manage and share a shopping list. So the next time you need milk or want someone else to pick something up while at the store, just tell Siri!
- How to create a shopping list in the Reminders app and add items with Siri
- How to share your shopping list with others using iCloud
- Launch the Reminders app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap the plus sign in the top right corner of the screen, next to the search bar.
- Title the list Shopping.
- Pick a different label color if you'd like.
- Tap Done in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Press and hold the Home button or say "Hey, Siri" on your iPhone or iPad to launch Siri.
- Say something like "Add bread to my shopping list."
Tap Remove if you don't want to save the item on your shopping list.
Repeat this process whenever you need to add items to your shopping list. It's much easier than unlocking your iPhone or iPad, launching the Reminders app itself, and typing in your items. Sure that may be easier when you have lots of items to add at once, but when it needs to be quick, Siri is a better bet.
Now that only leaves one thing left, sharing your new list!
You can share a Reminders list with other iCloud users. You don't even have to be on the same Family Sharing account. After you share your list, iCloud will sync all changes between all shared members' iPhones and iPads so you see what each other adds and ticks off in real time.
- Open the Reminders app.
- Tap the list you want to share.
Tap Edit in the upper right corner.
- Tap Sharing.
Tap Add Person.
- Enter the email address of the person you want to share the list with.
- Tap Add. Your share request will show as Pending until the recipient accepts your invitation.
Repeat steps 5 - 7 to add more people to your shared list.
That's it! The person on the receiving end will get a notification that you've shared a list. Once the person accepts the invitation, both of you will have easy access to adding and checking off items in your shopping list! You can repeat this process any time you want to share a list with anyone.
Originally published June 2014.
Updated September 2016 to reflect changes in iOS 10.