How to enable subtitles and captioning for audio accessibility on iPhone or iPad
Subtitles and closed captioning are Accessibility features that let anyone with a hearing impairment still enjoy any movie, TV show, podcast, and iTunes U video labeled with a CC in the iTunes Store. Subtitles and closed captioning work by layering text over the video, basically showing everything that's being said in written form. Subtitles and closed captioning on the iPhone and iPad even let you create your own display styles so you can make them as easy to see and enjoyable to read as possible.
How to turn on subtitles and closed captions in iOS
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Under the Hearing section, tap on Subtitles & Captioning.
- Turn On the option for Closed Captions + SDH.
- Tap on Style in order to customize how closed captions work if you'd like.
There are a few default options built in for closed captions and subtitles but if you don't like any of them, you can style on Create New Style... and choose your own font type and size. Just keep in mind that closed caption and subtitles will work where available but third party apps may have their own individual settings you'll have to use. This should get you started with all the built-in apps that need them though.
How to get more help with accessibility for iPhone and iPad
- How to use voice control with Siri for iPhone and iPad
- How to have your screen read with VoiceOver for iPhone and iPad
- How to magnify your screen with zoom on your iPhone or iPad
- How to invert screen colors on iPhone and iPad
- How to have text read with speak selection on your iPhone and iPad
- How to hear your corrections with speak auto-text for visual accessibility on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase legibility with large and bold text on iPhone and iPad
- How to make buttons more tappable by enabling shape outlines on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase contrast on iPhone and iPad
- How to prevent vertigo by reducing motion on your iPhone and iPad
- How to make toggles more visible by enabling on/off button labels on iPhone and iPad
- How to use FaceTime to make video calls on your iPhone or iPad
- How to connect to hearing aids on your iPhone or iPad
- How to use the LED flash as a visible notification light on your iPhone
- How to enable mono audio on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable subtitles and captioning on iPhone or iPad
- How to lock attention to a specific app with Guided Access for iPhone and iPad
- How to enable AssistiveTouch on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable switch control on iPhone and iPad
- How to adjust Home-click speed on iPhone and iPad
- How to set the triple-click Home button shortcut on iPhone and iPad
- Accessibility help and discussion forum