How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes
Like any device, from time to time an Apple TV can give you problems. In most cases a restart, reset all settings, or restore to factory settings will fix the problem. If you're Apple TV is totally non-responsive — or bricked — the only way to fix it is a full restore using iTunes. Here's how!
How to restore an Apple TV using iTunes
Note: In order to restore your Apple TV in iTunes you'll need to pick up a micro-USB cable. They're sold separately, but if you have a Bluetooth device or battery case/pack you might already have one handy.
- Disconnect all the cables from your Apple TV.
- Using a micro-USB cable, plug your Apple TV into your computer running iTunes.
- iTunes should automatically launch showing that your Apple TV is in Recovery Mode. Click on Restore Apple TV...
- Confirm you'd like to restore on the popup by clicking Restore and Update.
- Confirm the restore on the following popup by clicking Next.
- Now agree to the terms of service by clicking Agree.
- iTunes will take a minute to download the firmware file.
- Now just wait for your Apple TV to finish being restored. Do not unplug it until iTunes gives you the okay.
That's all there is to it. You can now re-connect your Apple TV to your television and verify that it corrected the problem. If you've got a third generation Apple TV or higher, you can use the tap-to-setup Bluetooth LE option for even faster setup.
How to get more help with your Apple TV
If you need any additional help or have specific questions check out our Apple TV Forum!
- How to automatically set up your Apple TV using an iPhone or iPad
- How to manually set up your Apple TV using the hardware remote
- How to use VoiceOver on your Apple TV
- How to pair an Apple remote with your Apple TV
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple TV remote
- How to access the chapter menu on the Apple TV
- How to control your Apple TV with the Remote app for iPhone or iPad
- How to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV
- How to hide channels on your Apple TV main menu
- How to AirPlay video from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV
- How to use Control Center to AirPlay videos to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your Mac screen to your Apple TV
- How to watch iTunes Extras on your Apple TV
- How to use Home Sharing to access your iTunes library on your Apple TV
- How to manually check for software updates on an Apple TV
- How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
- How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes