While Siri has gotten better with each new iteration, including iOS 7, there's some things Apple's personal digital assistant needs help with. First an foremost is learning how to pronounce unusual or tricky names. Whether it's your name, or the name of family, friends, or colleagues, it's easy to correct Siri, and have it stay corrected.
How to teach Siri to pronounce someone's name in iOS 7
- Press and hold down the Home button on your iPhone or iPad to activate Siri.
- Say something that coaxes Siri to incorrectly say the name in question. For example, "What's my name?" if your name is the one in question.
- Now tell her she is saying it wrong, but make sure you use her pronunciation. She always says my name as "A lie" so in my case, I say That's not how you pronounce A Lie.
- Siri should now ask you to tell her how to pronounce it. When asked, say the correct pronunciation.
- Now Siri presents you with three options for the correct pronunciation. Listen to them and tap Select next to the correct one.
That's all there is to it. Siri should now remember how to pronounce that particular name. In some cases, you don't even have to coax her. If it's a name she's said wrong many times, just tell her she's pronouncing it wrong and she should ask you to help her correct it.
Remember that this may not work with all names. She still refuses to say my last name right, but at least she's getting my first name correct now. You know what they say, you can't win 'em all!