Speak selection is an Accessibility feature that reads aloud any text you've highlighted on your iPhone or iPad. It's ideal anyone who has difficulty making out text because of small size or style, have dyslexia, is just learning a written language, or for any reason just want the words spoken to improve understanding. Speak selection can even highlight words as they're read to aid in comprehension, and adjust dialect and speed so you or a family member can better follow along.
How to enable and use speak selection for better comprehension while using iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on General.
- Tap on Accessibility.
- Under the Vision section, tap on Speak Selection.
- Turn On the toggle to enable Speak Selection.
- Optionally you can also control the speech rate and turn on and off word highlighting on this screen.
- Press and hold on text and select what you'd like Speak Selection to read to you.
- Tap on Speak in the popup menu.
Speak Selection should work anywhere you are able to highlight text, including in apps from the App Store. It's great for anyone, young, old, or in-between, who has trouble visually discerning writing, or needs extra help learning or understanding a written language.
If you've given speak selection a try, let me know how it works for you!
How to get more help with accessibility for iPhone and iPad
- How to use voice control with Siri for iPhone and iPad
- How to have your screen read with VoiceOver for iPhone and iPad
- How to magnify your screen with zoom on your iPhone or iPad
- How to invert screen colors on iPhone and iPad
- How to have text read with speak selection on your iPhone and iPad
- How to hear your corrections with speak auto-text for visual accessibility on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase legibility with large and bold text on iPhone and iPad
- How to make buttons more tappable by enabling shape outlines on iPhone and iPad
- How to increase contrast on iPhone and iPad
- How to prevent vertigo by reducing motion on your iPhone and iPad
- How to make toggles more visible by enabling on/off button labels on iPhone and iPad
- How to use FaceTime to make video calls on your iPhone or iPad
- How to connect to hearing aids on your iPhone or iPad
- How to use the LED flash as a visible notification light on your iPhone
- How to enable mono audio on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable subtitles and captioning on iPhone or iPad
- How to lock attention to a specific app with Guided Access for iPhone and iPad
- How to enable AssistiveTouch on iPhone or iPad
- How to enable switch control on iPhone and iPad
- How to adjust Home-click speed on iPhone and iPad
- How to set the triple-click Home button shortcut on iPhone and iPad
- Accessibility help and discussion forum