Phone different Podcast Episode 33

Have something to say about this story? Leave a comment! Need help with something else? Ask in our forums!

Dieter Bohn

Dieter Bohn is former editor-in-chief of Smartphone Experts, writing across iMore, Windows Phone Central, Android Central, and more. You can find him on Twitter (and everywhere else) @backlon.

More Posts



← Previously

iPhone 4G Concept: iPhone the New Macbook?

Next up →

iPhone support is coming to Novell GroupWise!

Reader comments

Phone different Podcast Episode 33


Hey Paul, I know a fix to one of your problems...sorry its not the phone app though.
Ok so you have all your apps neatly in their folders, and an update comes along for any number of apps. Now they arnt in their folders. Well you can use SBsettings to fix this perty quickly, Just open the drop down, and along with all those big toggles theres a neat little button called respring. Push it and after about 10-15 seconds all your apps will be in their folders were they belong, and it frees up som RAM too i believe.

Dieter, meanwhile, was pulling double (triple?) duty talking all things Smartphone Experts, Round Robin, Palm, WinMo and iPhone with Mickey from the Cell Phone Junkie and Matt from our sibling site on TCPJ Unlocked Podcast. Great listen so be sure to check it out!

The problem with the phone app failing is incorrect permissions for the folder. This is a very easy and quick fix. Bring down SbSettings and tap the 'more' icon, then select 'Extras'. Now tap 'Fix User Dir Permissions'. It will have a brief dialog explaining what this does. Tap 'Fix Me' to apply the change. Respring to take effect, as the phone app runs native in the background and won't see the effect unless it restarts. If this doesn't solve your problem, here is another solution that is sure to fix your problem. I've used this process myself to fix similar issues, as I SSH daily into my phone to backup and restore my databases (sms, contacts, call records, etc). I restore a lot, so it's good to have everything back to normal and just the way it was after a squeaky clean restore. Great for archiving purposes as well. This way does require a bit more tinkering, though...
If you're using Windows, you can use WinSCP. You will need to SSH into your iPhone and reset the permission for the folder that holds the phone application. Since you're already jailbroken, all you need to do is grap that application and find out what the phone's internal IP is. SbSettings displays this at the bottom, so that should be easy to find as well. There are many tutorials out there on how to use WinSCP to SSH into your phone, but I don't have enough time at the moment to find them for linking. You just enter the IP that SbSettings displays, and enter 'root' as login and 'alpine' as password. Make sure you've installed OpenSSH via Cydia to make this all work.
Then, go to /Applications and find the folder, right click and select properties. Under 'Permission>Octal:' input 755 and select the box that says 'Set group,owner and permission recursively', then select OK. Now respring your iPhone, and you're golden. You may want to do a soft-restart if you really want to make sure the permissions change fully takes effect.
If this doesn't work, the only other thing that would be causing this is your contacts SQL database. You can also reset the permissions by navigating via SSH to /user/mobile/library/AddressBook/. Do the same thing described above to the addressbook folder and respring to take effect.
Hope this helps :) Love the show!