The release of iOS 12 includes a revamped iBooks app. In fact, it's no longer called iBooks. It's now Apple Books, or Books for short.
The basics are the same, but several new features have been added and the look and organization of the app have changed significantly. Apple Books handles several tasks. You use it to find and buy books and audiobooks in the (renamed) Bookstore and then read and listen to them. Apple Books will now automatically organize your library into several collections, and you can add as many of your own as you wish. In addition to books and audiobooks, you can store PDF files in the app—and all of it can sync among your Apple devices through iCloud. You can also customize the reading and listening experience, including changing the size and type of font and the color of the "paper" of the book. Here's everything you need to know about using Apple Books on your iPhone and iPad.
How to download and read books with Apple Books on iPhone and iPad
Apple Books turns your iPhone and iPad into the ultimate e-reader. The app's search feature makes it easy to find and download books, not only in the Book Store, but also on your device.
- How to download a book from the Book Store
- How to search for a book
- How to read a book
- How to quickly scan through a book
- How to use the Want to Read Collection
- How to set a bookmark
- How to see a list of bookmarks
- How to see a table of contents
- How to highlight text in a book
- How to change the color of a highlight
- How to remove a highlight
- How to add a note to a highlight
- How to review notes in a book
- How to remove notes from a book
- How to find text in a book
How to share books and excerpts from Apple Books on iPhone and iPad
If you can't help but tell others about great writing, Books makes it easy to share excerpts and links to books. It's also easy to share books with other members of your family and gift a book to friends.
- How to share excerpts from a book
- How to share a PDF
- How to share a link to a book
- How to share a book through iCloud Family Sharing
- How to gift a book to someone else
How to listen to audiobooks on iPhone and iPad
Apple Books is not only a great app for reading books, it's a great app for listening to audiobooks. So if audiobooks are your thing, Apple Books has you covered—no separate app required.
- How to browse and search for an audiobook
- How to download audiobooks
- How to redownload an audiobook
- How to play an audiobook
- How to listen to a specific track
- How to go to a specific time in an audiobook
- How to use Skip Forward and Skip Back
- How to change the playback speed of an audiobook
- How to set a sleep timer on an audiobook
- How to change the audio output for audiobooks
- How to share information about an audiobook
How to rate and review books in Apple Books on iPhone and iPad
If you rely on other folks' ratings and reviews of books to decide what to read next, you can help others by contributing your own rating and reviews. And if you add a simple love/dislike rating to books you read, it will improve the quality of recommendations made by the Bookstore.
How to customize Apple Books on iPhone and iPad
The flexibility of electronic books means you don't have to run out to the store for the extra-large type version of a book. You can change the look of books you read, from the font type and size to the background color of the "paper".
- How to control brightness
- How to change font size
- How to change the font style
- How to change page color
- How to enable Auto-Night Theme
- How to turn off Full Justification
- How to turn off Auto-hyphenation
- How to enable Both Margins Advance
- How to enable Scrolling View
How to manage your library in Apple Books on iPhone and iPad
Changes to Apple Books make it easier to organize your library into collections—because Apple Books does some of the heavy lifting for you. Anything you've downloaded from the Bookstore, and anything you've added to Books such as PDF files, can lead to a cluttered mess. Here's how to keep your digital shelves organized.
- How to add a new collection
- How to add books to a collection
- How to reorder or delete collections
- How to sort books
- How to delete, hide, and unhide books
- How to re-download deleted books
- How to sync your Books library on iPhone and iPad
- How to sync your Books library on your Mac
How to sell your books in the Bookstore
Budding author? If so, you might want to consider selling your Great American Novel (or your cookbook, or your play, or your textbook) on the Book Store.
How to troubleshoot Apple Books problems
Can't download? Books missing? Here are a few things you can try.
Apple Books questions?
Have any questions about using Apple Books for iPhone and iPad? Let us know in the comments below.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
HomePod mini fans in Mexico and Taiwan can now place their orders
Apple's HomePod mini is now available in two more countries, but a third will have to wait a little while longer.
Check your apps are M1-safe with this free tool from iMazing
Want to know which apps are compiled with Apple silicon in mind? Silicon will tell you and it won't cost you a penny.
Flighty's COVID-conscious update adds new cancellation alerts and more
Flighty has been updated to give fliers the tools they need this COVID-filled holiday season.
Wireless headphones that work with Nintendo Switch Lite
Being able to use wireless headphones while playing your favorite games is liberating. We've gathered the best wireless headphones for the Nintendo Switch Lite. See which ones catch your eye.