Wondering how to get Siri to better understand and pronounce your contact's names? Sometimes adding phonetic spelling will solve the problem. A good example of this is my name. Siri is pronouncing it as A-lie, as in the cake is a lie. Here's how to set up a phonetic spelling to a name.
- You'll need to go into whatever contact card Siri is having trouble with. In this instance, I'm editing my own.
- Next you'll need to tap Edit at the top of the contact card.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and click add field.
- You will see two fields that allow you to add a phonetic first and last name. Fill them out. In this instance I put "Alley". This seems to make Siri pronounce my name correctly.
- Once you are finished click Done to finish editing your contact card. You should now see the phonetic spelling of the name underneath the contact's actual name.
- Try Siri again. Your name should be pronounced correctly now.
Has Siri had issues pronouncing any names for you? Did adding a phonetic spelling fix the issue?
Daily Tips range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)
This is how to check if a used iPhone or iPad was stolen from Apple
With several Apple stores looted and their display devices stolen, make sure you know how to spot if a device was stolen from Apple.
No, this mockup isn’t the iPhone 13
There's a 3D-printed mockup doing the rounds and people claim it's the iPhone 13. But there are a few problems with that. Starting with the fact it isn't.
This is how Apple will keep people safe when reopening Apple Park
Apple has already started bringing people back to Apple Park, but things aren't how they were before COVID-19.
Mix it up with 50 smart accessories that work with Alexa and HomeKit
Splitting your smart home accessories between HomeKit and Alexa ensures that you will always have access even if you decide to switch up your phone. Here's 50 flexible accessories that work with both voice assistants.