Best answer: The Nintendo Switch Lite does have a notification light, but it doesn't seem to have a purpose quite yet.
- On-the-go gaming: Nintendo Switch Lite ($200 at Amazon)
What the notification light may be used for
You may have noticed a light ring around the home button on your Nintendo Switch Lite or Nintendo Switch controllers. Behind this button is a blue LED light that will illuminate the ring when you receive a notification. In the Nintendo Switch Ver. 9.0.0 update released on September 9, 2019, Nintendo added alarm notifications under notifications in the system settings that we believe will be the reason for the light in the future. For now, these alarms are only available in supported software that Nintendo says is to be added later. To use this feature, controllers may require a firmware update.
What software is coming?
As of now, there is no indication of what software is coming that will support this new notification light feature in the future. This piece of the update came as just one part of a list of other updates. Nintendo's website has the full update information available. The following features were also included:
- Added a search feature for the News Channel
- Added Display QR Code to Check-In to User Settings
- Alarm Notifications have been added to System Settings > Notifications
- You can now configure touch screen sensitivity settings
- Added the option to turn on/off the system button input (Nintendo Switch Lite only)
- Added Online Play Invites section to the User's page
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience
Looking forward to a Nintendo update
Although this light doesn't currently notify players when others are trying to join their party, games download, or shop news yet, we're hoping this functionality will come when they also release the new software for the alarm notifications. For now, we will plan to keep an eye on Nintendo Switch Lite updates and keep you posted as we learn more.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.