iOS 6 is here -- read our complete iOS 6 review! -- and if you're itching to get your hands on it but your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't yet alerting you that it's available, you can manually update over-the-air.
Follow along and we'll show you how!
How to manually update to iOS
- Launch the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- If there's nothing new, you'll be told just so. Otherwise, you'll be presented with all the details about the update.
- Tap Download and Install
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions
- Watch the progress bar (This part depends on the speed and quality of connection. Don't be alarmed if it takes a long time, speeds up or slows down, or appears to jump around -- be patient.)
- Once it's finished downloading, you'll be prompted to instal (and restart) your device. If you don't explicitly hit Later or Install within a few seconds, it will install on your behalf.
- Apple will verify the install.
You're done! Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is ready to go on iOS 6!