Using an Amazon Music Unlimited subscription on your Amazon Echo is a breeze. Here are the steps to get started and enjoy the service and to cancel, if needed.
Current Amazon Music subscription services
Before digging into our guide, it's essential to understand the different Amazon music services:
- Prime Music: Amazon Prime Music is a music streaming service for Amazon Prime members. You get access to over 2 million songs and can listen to any of these titles on-demand and ad-free. This service is free for anyone who subscribes to Amazon Prime, and it's available for use on any of your Amazon Echo devices.
- Music Unlimited Echo Plan: This plan is exclusive to owners of an Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Show, Echo Spot, Echo Look, Echo Input, or Fire TV. For $3.99 a month, you can stream from the full Amazon Music Unlimited library (tens of millions of songs) on-demand and ad-free. The only catch is it's exclusive to your Echo device — your subscription won't grant you access to Amazon Music Unlimited on the web, in the app, or on another Echo device.
- Music Unlimited Individual Plan: This plan works on all your devices. For $7.99 a month for Amazon Prime members (or $79 per year) and $9.99 a month for non-Prime members, you get access to tens of millions of songs on the web, in the app, and on any of your Echo devices.
- Music Unlimited Family Plan: This plan also works on all your devices. For $14.99 a month for both Amazon Prime members and non-Prime members, you and up to six family members get access to tens of millions of songs on the web, in the app, and on any of your Echo devices.
As you can see, Amazon offers various plans at various price points. The best choice for you will come down to the number of Echo devices in your home and whether you want others to share a subscription.
How to sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited
You can sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited with your Echo. No need to visit a website or pull out your phone. Just use your voice!
- Make sure you're within range of your Echo and say, "Alexa, sign up for Amazon Music Unlimited."
- From here, Alexa will guide you through the subscription process.
If you've never tried Amazon Music Unlimited, you'll receive a 30-day free trial of the streaming service.
Using Amazon Music Unlimited with your Echo
Using Amazon Music Unlimited is relatively simple since you use your voice to control the music. There's no real step-by-step process for playing music on Amazon Echo, Instead, here some examples of ways to interact with Echo and use Amazon Music Unlimited.
- "Alexa, play the song with the lyrics 'We're no strangers to love, you know the rules and so do I.'"
- "Alexa, play some sad jazz songs."
- "Alexa, play some music that will cheer me up!"
- "Alexa, play the song of the day."
- "Alexa, I want to hear new music from Nicki Minaj."
- "Alexa, turn up the music!"
- "Alexa, what's playing right now?"
- "Alexa, who sings this song?"
- "Alexa, pause the music."
- "Alexa, stop playing music in a couple of hours."
- "Alexa, skip this song."
- "Alexa, I'm tired of this song." (This will take the song out of rotation)
How to cancel your Amazon Music Unlimited service
If you decide Amazon Music Unlimited isn't for you, here's how you cancel your subscription:
- Go to your Amazon Music Settings on the web.
- Under the Amazon Music Unlimited section click Cancel subscription.
- Follow the steps to leave feedback and cancel your subscription.
- Click Confirm cancellation to cancel your subscription.
The must-have Echo accessories
Now that you have the music thing down, it's time to buy a few accessories for your favorite Echo device.
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit ($159 at Amazon)
Your Amazon Echo device, when paired with this Philips Hue starter pack will allow you to adjust your lights with absolute ease.
Nanoleaf Light Panels ($270 at Amazon)
For something completely different, try these amazing smart lights.
Wemo Mini Smart Plug ($25 at Amazon)
With this product, even dumb devices can be turned on/off by asking Amazon Alexa
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!