The Crown Tundra DLC is finally here for Pokémon Sword and Shield. The Crown Tundra is full of new and returning Pokémon that you can catch, but what about your old friends that have faithfully fought by your side in older games? Alongside the Crown Tundra, The Pokémon Company is rolling out an update to Pokémon HOME that allows you to transfer over 100 additional species of Pokémon to Pokémon Sword and Shield. Pokémon HOME is free to download but requires a paid subscription for full functionality.
Products used in this guide
- Attack with full force!: Pokémon Sword ($60 on Amazon)
- Defend with all your might!: Pokémon Shield ($60 on Amazon)
- More Sword and Shield: Pokémon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass ($30 at Amazon)
- Home phone: Pokémon HOME (Free on the App Store)
- Switch Housing: Pokémon HOME (Free on Nintendo eShop)
Pokémon HOME: How to transfer to Pokémon Sword and Shield
First, make sure you have Pokémon HOME set up on your Nintendo Switch. If you need help with that, we have a full guide on how to sign up for Pokémon HOME.
- If you have a physical copy of Pokémon Sword or Shield, place it in the cartridge slot.
Open Pokémon Home from the main Switch menu.
- Press A to get past the start screen.
This screen will appear. Select Pokémon.
- Choose the game you want to transfer to.
- Your Pokémon Boxes will appear. Select the Pokémon you wish to transfer.
- Note that you can transfer both into or out of Pokémon HOME at this point. If the Pokémon cannot be transferred to Sword or Shield a red circle with a line through it will appear on the top right side of the Pokémon.
Deposit the Pokémon into one of your Boxes.
- When you're done selecting Pokémon, press the + icon to exit.
Select Save changes and exit.
Press A when the screen reads "Your Boxes have been saved!" You've completed the transfer. Now you can either use those Pokémon in Sword or Shield or interact with them in Pokémon HOME.
Keep in mind that if you're trying to transfer Pokémon from outside games like Pokémon Let's Go! or earlier titles via Pokémon Bank, you might not be able to bring every Pokémon into Sword and Shield. Only Pokémon that are already available in the Galar Regional Pokedex, those that arrived in the DLC updates, and a handful of legendaries and other special Pokémon can be brought forward. However, any Pokémon that is available in Sword and Shield can be stored in Pokémon HOME.
Take your old Pokémon on a new adventure
You don't have to buy the Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra DLC to transfer older Pokémon into Pokémon Sword and Shield, but the expansions are an excellent addition to one of the best Nintendo Switch games. You can tear through the tundra with a Metagross or sweep through the Isle of Armor with a Dragonite.
Defend your world!
Defend the Galar region
Pokémon Shield is just like Pokémon Sword in terms of plot, characters, and mechanics, but many Pokémon are exclusive to either version. If you're after monsters like Galarian Ponyta or past favorites like Goomy, this is the version to pick up.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.