Shocking you with a day early this time instead of a day late. For podcast 7 we talk about CTIAthe iPhone on Orange, possible unlock rumors, a product red version possibly coming, an SDK in february plus some widget speculation, some leopard speculation, webapps, and a brief hacking segment. And then, a bit on the iTunes plus price cut, Greenpeace, new Apple ads, and att.com making changes. And of course the usual chat about the community.
No less chock full of stuff than last week, but I managed to shave off a few minutes and keep us under 50 minutes. How did I do it? By shaving off the talks about Apple vs. gateway / acer / packard bell. Sharp listeners, look for the "I'm going to cut this" and Dieter being sad. I'll post it up later today.
Phone Different Podcast #7 for late (?) Friday October 19, 2007
Since we'll be in San Francisco for CTIA on Monday, and I'll be in the air during the time I'd usually be editing the podcast, we're going to release this podcast on a friday. Who knows, if we like it, we just might stick with it. In other news, we're going to CTIA.
- finally confirmed iphone in france on orange. there are unlocked rumors, they're called rumors for a reason. My french is not so great, but my understanding is that it must be sold 'nu', or 'naked', as in sans contract. *not* unlocked. That's belgium and finland that have the unlocked law, maybe some other euro countries? I'm willing to have egg on my face if I'm wrong.
- more work for Apple legal. another iphone dispute might delay iPhone on Rogers in Canada.
- product (red) iphone in the works?
- native apps in february is the big news here. whither widgets? So many rumors right now. part of me still expects widgets before an SDK. older rumors that apple was incorporating a google gears-like feature.
- some new functionality coming with leopard?. doubters should note the cagey language.
- Apple posts webapp directory, not designed for browsing on iPhone. huh?
- hacking bits
- firmware decrypted, all that stuff. iPod touch too.
- 1.1.1 jailbreaked, now pretty easy. works with the tiff image viewing vulnerability. oh hey, be careful viewing tiff files. expect a patch, oh, maybe the day leopard comes out, since iphone updates have been rolling in on thursdays recently.
- AnySim, free unlock, works with 1.1.1.
- since there's no easy "virginizer" for bricked 1.1.1 iphones from free unlock, best bet currently is to buy IPSF to fix the radio.
- as always, let some other poor dumb b*d die for his country. I mean brick his or her iPhone. wait a few days after the next update to see where the fire is.
the download market is changing, and rapidly
- iTunes price cut. iTunes plus tracks now 99¢ instead of 129¢. dang I love unicode. [this script was written a day before Gruber wrote this. ZORM]
- Greenpeace is not happy with the iPhone. I'm pretty green, but let's call a spade a spade: attention whore! Too much PVC, BFR, phthalates. Apple's response is pretty classy, but they still face yet another lawsuit over disclosure of those phthalates.
- new ads for the iPhone. 2nd set too.
Bonus AT&T Section
AT&T making changes to avoid regulation, won't look directly in the senate's eye. first change is to prorate the contract cancellation fee, usually $150 to $200. I expect more in the future; hail Sauron.
store dot phonedifferent dot com
Phones are staffed with our sales and support staff from 8AM eastern standard to 8PM eastern standard.
to call the store: 866 757 7752
to email the store: sales@phonedifferent dot com
To contact us, dial 866 757 7752 extension 222. or you can email us at podcast at phonedifferent dot com, it goes directly to both of us.
p>Highlights from the community:
- Nokia finally adds touch screen support to S60. degenerated into a touchscreen efficiency discussion, mostly about the iphone. good usability points there.
- iphone by papichu. sparked some good discussion about iphone vs. palmos
- apple oks 3rd party iphone applications by cellmatrix. some responses, a lot of hesitation about signed apps and delivery mechanisms. there's definitely some want for free apps.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Plugable's UD-6950Z Dock may be built for Windows but it saved my Mac
I had to jump through hoops to uninstall the macOS developer beta and reinstall Catalina and the Plugable docking station made it all possible.
Nudget nudges you in the right direction when it comes to budgeting
Struggling with keeping a budget? Yeah, it's hard. Nudget is an app that makes it a little easier.
New EU regulations target App Store, empowering developers
The EU has introduced new regulations and measures to help protect developers and publishers who deal with storefronts like the App Store.
Every Joy-Con controller color plus some customization options!
They probably weren't available at first, but nowadays you can find Joy-Cons in every color under the rainbow.