Pokémon GO Fest 2020 is almost here. To prepare, there will be three weeks of Timed Research Challenges. Trainers will get awesome individual rewards, as well as have the chance to unlock Pokémon for Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
What is a Timed Research Challenge?
Introduced in the Throwback Challenge Event, a Timed Research Challenge is Special Research that must be completed in a set period of time. If it isn't completed before the time expires, it will disappear forever. There are bonuses during the Timed Research which will make it easier to complete and the bonuses are pretty awesome. For this Timed Research Challenge, there are both individual rewards and group rewards in the form of Pokémon unlocked for Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
Week One: Skill
The first week was themed around Skill. It began on Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8 AM local time and featured three sets of Timed Research. Rewards included:
- Individuals completing the Research earned an encounter with Ducklett, an encounter with Flying Pikachu, a Star Piece, and more!
- One million Team Instinct Trainers completing the Research unlocked Chimecho for GO Fest.
- One million Team Mystic Trainers completing the Research unlocked Alomomola for GO Fest.
- One million Team Valor Trainers completing the Research unlocked Chansey for GO Fest.
- Individuals could also unlock the GO Fest Elite Skill Challenge, a set of difficult tasks featured in GO Fest 2020 separate from the Timed Research.
This week ended Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 10 PM local time and included the following bonuses:
- Flying type Pokémon and Pokémon wearing party hats spawned in the wild, hatched from Eggs, and appeared in Raids.
- Shiny Pidove appeared.
- Ducklett was introduced, spawning in the wild and hatching from 5 KM Eggs.
- Flying Pikachu spawned in the wild and appeared in Raids, and could be shiny.
- The Jump-Start Special Research was also available this week for any Trainers who missed out on it during last year's anniversary celebration.
- A Snapshot surpise also popped up during this event.
- Ho-Oh was featured in a Raid Weekend.
Week Two: Battle
The second week is themed around Battle with a focus on the new Team GO Rocket aerial attacks. It began on Friday, July 10, 2020 at 8 AM local time and featured three sets of Timed Research. Rewards included:
- Individuals completing the Research earned an encounter with Hitmonlee, an encounter with Absol, a Super Rocket Radar, and more!
- One million Team Instinct Trainers completed the Research to unlock Ferroseed.
- One million Team Mystic Trainers completed the Research to unlock Alolan Grimer.
- One million Team Valor Trainers completed the Research to unlock Alolan Marowak.
- Individuals also unlocked GO Fest Elite Battle Challenge, a set of difficult tasks featured in GO Fest 2020 separate from the Timed Research.
In addition to the Timed Research, there was also a Team GO Rocket Take-Over Battle Event on Sunday, July 12, 2020, from 11 AM to 2 PM local time. Week two wrapped up on Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 10 PM local time.
The bonuses for the week included:
- Poison and Dark type Pokémon appeared more in the wild, Eggs, and Raids.
- Team GO Rocket balloons appeared more often.
- The Meowth balloon appeared more often.
- Several new Shadow Pokémon were added, including the new Legendary Shadow Suicune.
Week Three: Friendship
The third week is themed around Friendship. It began Friday, July 17, 2020 at 8 AM local time and features three sets of Timed Research. Rewards include:
- Individuals completing the Research earn an encounter with Alolan Raichu, an encounter with Petilil, a Lucky Egg, and more!
- One million Team Instinct Trainers completing the Research will unlock Togetic.
- One million Team Mystic Trainers completing the Research will unlock Dratini.
- One million Team Valor Trainers completing the Research will unlock Litwick.
- Individuals can also unlock GO Fest Elite Friendship Challenge, a set of difficult tasks featured in GO Fest 2020 separate from the Timed Research.
Week three will wrap up on Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10 PM local time and includes the following bonuses:
- Summer themed Pokémon are spawning in the wild, hatch from Eggs, and appear in raids.
- Shiny Bellsprout is appearing.
- Petilil has been introduced, spawning in the wild when the weather is sunny and hatching from 5 KM Eggs.
- Summer Style Pikachu is also spawning in the wild.
- A Snapshot Surprise is popping up during this event.
Do you have any questions about the Pokémon Go Anniversary Challenges? Which bonus or new Pokémon are you most excited for? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex, as well as our many Pokémon Go guides so you can be the very best like no one ever was!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
More smartphone makers to follow Apple in ditching headphones from boxes
A recent DigiTimes report includes an indication that more smartphone makers will follow Apple's lead in ditching headphones from their smartphone boxes, a move that will benefit sales of true wireless products.
The MagSafe Charger may leave a circular imprint on leather iPhone cases
According to a new Apple Support document, the company is warning those who use a leather case with their iPhone of potential imprints.
Apple Stores get huge neon window dressing to celebrate iPhone 12 launch
Some Apple Stores now have some huge, neon window dressings as the company releases iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro to the world.
Spooky Nintendo Switch games listed from kid-friendly to terrifying
One of the best ways to get into the autumn spirit is by playing an awesome game, whether it be delightfully spooky or flat-out horror. Here are the best games to play on your Nintendo Switch this Halloween.