Although Gen VI Pokémon has only barely been introduced in Pokémon Go, a handful of special Pokémon first encountered in Gen VII and Gen VIII have already found their way into the hit mobile game. These Regional Variants are different versions of Pokémon from previous generations who have adapted to the Alolan Islands or the Galarian region. Read ahead to learn how to get all the Regional Variants in Pokémon Go and be sure to check out our best Pokémon Go accessories so you can be fully equipped on your Pokémon Journey!
What are Regional Variant Pokémon?
While Evolution in the Pokémon world is a drastically different thing from evolution in the real world, our version of evolution also happens in the Pokémon world. In particular, several species of Pokémon brought to different regions of the Pokémon World adapted over many, many years to their new environments. This idea of Regional Variant Pokémon was first introduced in the Alolan region of Gen VII and later expanded upon in the Galar region of Gen VIII. Regional Variants look pretty different from their original formes and have different Types as well. Some even gain new Evolutions! There are 36 in total, but not all of them have made their way into the Pokémon Go world yet.
How do you get Regional Variant Pokémon in Pokémon Go?
Most first stage Regional Variants are available through 7KM Eggs that you can get from Friend Gifts. Some can spawn on the map, others appear in Raids, and a select few can only be caught during special events or through completing Research. However, this changes over time.
Which Alolan Regional Variants are available in Pokémon Go?
There are 18 Alolan Regional Variants and all of them have been introduced in Pokémon Go.
- Alolan Rattata (Catch): Normal/Dark
- Alolan Raticate (Evolve from Rattata): Normal/Dark
- Alolan Raichu (Raid): Electric/Psychic
- Alolan Sandshrew (Hatch from 7 KM Egg): Ice/Steel
- Alolan Sandslash (Evolve from Sandshew): Ice/Steel
- Alolan Vulpix (Hatch from 7 KM Egg): Ice
- Alolan Ninetails (Evolve from Vulpix): Ice/Fairy
- Alolan Diglet (Hatch from 7KM Egg/Catch): Ground/Steel
- Alolan Dugtrio (Evolve from Diglet): Ground/Steel
- Alolan Meowth (Hatch from 7 KM Egg/Catch): Dark
- Alolan Persian (Evolve from Meowth): Dark
- Alolan Geodude (Hatch from 7KM Egg/Catch): Rock/Electric
- Alolan Gravler (Evolve from Geodude): Rock/Electric
- Alolan Golem (Evolve from Graveler): Rock/Electric
- Alolan Grimer (Hatch from 7KM Egg/Catch): Poison/Dark
- Alolan Muk (Evolve from Grimer/Raids): Poison/Dark
- Alolan Exeggutor (Catch/Raids): Grass/Dragon
- Alolan Marowak (Raid): Ghost/Fire
Note: All of the Alolan Regional Variants have the potential to be Shiny.
Which Galarian Regional Variants are available in Pokémon Go?
There are 19 Galarian Regional, but only 12 have been introduced in Pokémon Go.
- Galarian Meowth (Hatch from 7KM Egg/Catch): Steel
- Galarian Ponyta (Hatch from 7KM Egg): Psychic
- Galarian Rapidash (Evolve from Ponyta): Psychic Fairy
- Galarian Slowpoke (Not available yet): Psychic
- Galarian Slowbro (Not available yet): Poison/Psychic
- Galarian Farfetch'd (Hatch from 7KM Egg): Fighting
- Galarian Weezing (Raids): Poison/Fairy
- Galarian Mr. Mime (Complete Special Research): Ice/Psychic
- Galarian Articuno (Not available yet): Psychic/Flying
- Galarian Zapdos (Not available yet): Fighting/Flying
- Galarian Moltres (Not available yet): Dark/Flying
- Galarian Slowking (Not available yet): Poison/Psychic
- Galarian Corsola (Not available yet): Ghost
- Galarian Zigzagoon (Hatch from 7KM Egg, reward from Pokémon Go Battle League): Dark/Normal
- Galarian Linoone (Evolve from Zigzagoon): Dark/Normal
- Galarian Darumaka (Hatch from 7KM Egg): Ice
- Galarian Darmanitan (Evolve from Darumaka): Ice, Ice/Fire
- Galarian Yamask (Earned from Special Research during Halloween): Ground/Ghost
- Galarian Stunfisk (Hatch from 7KM Egg): Ground/Steel
In addition to adding new Regional Variants in Gen VIII, a few of the Galarian Regional Variants also got new evolutions:
- Perrserker (Evolve from Meowth)
- Sirfetch'd (Evolve from Farfetch'd)
- Mr. Rime (Evolve from Mr. Mime)
- Cursola (Not available yet)
- Obstagoon (Evolve from Linoone)
- Runerigus (Evolve from Yamask)
Note: None of the Galarian Regional Variants have had their Shiny formes unlocked yet.
Any questions about Regional Variants in Pokémon Go?
Do you have any questions about Alolan or Galarian Regional Variant Pokémon in Pokémon Go? Drop them in the comments below and be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex to make sure you catch 'em all!