You got to catch them all in Pokémon in Sword and Shield, and what better way to do it than by adding Mew to your collection. That's right; this mysterious and evasive Pokémon can be yours. Follow these easy steps, and the very first Mythical Pokémon can join you on your adventures in the Galar region!
Products used in this guide
- Bring your Pokémon into the real world: Nintendo Poké Ball Plus ($50 on Amazon)
How to do the thing
- Unlike Joy-Cons and other Switch controllers, the Poké Ball Plus can only be paired by connecting the provided USB cable from the Poké Ball Plus to the USB port on the side of the Switch Dock. Keep in mind; this must be a brand new Poké Ball Plus. If you have already used this Poké Ball Plus to claim Mew, you cannot claim another, even on a different game.
- Once paired, the Poké Ball Plus will light up and play a familiar Pokémon sound clip.
- Open Pokémon Sword or Shield.
- Press X to open the main menu.
- Select Mystery Gift.
- Select Take a Stroll with Poké Ball Plus.
- A message will pop up telling you that a Pokémon is in your Poké Ball Plus. Select Yes to accept it.
- The Switch will connect to the internet and transfer Mew into your Rotom PC.
- Add your brand new Mew to your party and enjoy!
And, just like that, you not only have a Pokéball to carry your Pokémon from Sword and Shield out into the real world, but you also have the very first Mythical Pokémon, Mew on your team!
Pokémon in the palm of your hand
Pokémon in the real world!
This fun device allows gamers to take a Pokémon from Pokémon Sword and Shield along with them in the real world.
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Casian Holly has been writing about gaming at iMore since 2019, but their real passion is Pokémon. From the games to the anime, cards and toys, they eat, sleep, and breathe all things Pokémon. You can check out their many Pokémon Go and Pokémon Sword and Shield guides and coverage here on iMore.