Do you own your stuff or does your stuff own you? This week on ZENandTECH, Georgia and Rene talk about the joys of de-cluttering your life, and how getting rid of the physical clutter can help you get rid of the mental clutter as well.
Read on for the show notes!
Bad cluttering habits
- Feeling guilty about throwing things away
- Emotional ties make you keep more than you need to
- The time and effort it takes to manage all your stuff is daunting
- You always plan on getting to it later
Dealing with bad habits
- The freedom, peace, and calm you get will overcome any guilt
- Take a digital photo, that keeps the emotion but not the stuff
- The time you spend stressing over things is typically more than dealing with them
- Get to it now. Do it simply and efficiently.
Tips on how to de-clutter
- Work backwards: Take everything out of a closet, or box, or drawer, etc. and start with a clean slate.
- Set up four boxes (or piles): Keep, throw away, give away, and not sure
- If you're not sure, tend towards getting rid of things
- Set a time limit: 15 min. or 1 hour, keep it short so you don't burn out
- Do something you enjoy while sorting: Watch TV, listen to music, chat
- Don't store other people's stuff. Give it back to them or get rid of it.
Questions to ask
- When did I last use it?
- When did I last need it?
- How good will I feel never having to deal with it again?
- Get rid of 50 things. Do 10 a day for 5 days if you have to, or do them all at once. Just get rid of 50 things that are cluttering your life and write down how you feel once you're done.
Wii Giveaway winner!
- Congratulations to Kevin Smith -- we'll be contacting you asap!
ZENandTECH T-Shirt giveaway
- Reply to this post with what you're getting rid of, how it makes you feel, and any tips you have for de-cluttering your life. We'll pick a few of you and send you awesome ZENandTECH "Superhero (In Training)" t-shirts.
Help us help you!
Please help us out by recommending ZENandTECH to your family, friends, and co-workers! They're just as stressed as you are, help them out!
And if you haven't already, please leave us a rating and review in iTunes!, it really helps us reach and help more people!
This episode of ZENandTECH is brought to you by the PreCentral.net Store, your one stop shop for everything Pre, Veer, and soon... TouchPad. Combine a TouchStone with a Palm Car Charger for the ultimate in on-the-go power. You spent a lot of money on your device, protect it, keep it charged, and keep yourself happy!
Thanks everyone, you're the best community on the web and we love having you with us!
While Georgia is a therapist, she's not YOUR therapist. Everything said or implied on this show is for informational and entertainment purposes only. And shouldn't be taken in any way as a replacement for proper, professional care.
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
FAQ: TikTok & WeChat ban — why it’s happening and what it means for you
Are TikTok and WeChat really being banned? When does all of this take effect? Will I still be able to use these apps? All this and more answered in our FAQ regarding the latest U.S. orders.
Plan your day with Hour Blocks and its amazing iOS 14 Home screen widgets
Planning your day is no fun but sometimes you find an app that goes some way to making it less boring. Hour Blocks does a decent job and it looks lovely, too.
Scribble Together gets the coolest iOS 14 App Clip we've seen so far
Scribble Together has released its new App Clip for Scribble Together, which will allow users to collaborate on a Scribble Together whiteboard even if they don't have the app.
Pick the best Eufy RoboVac for you with our handy guide
Eufy makes some pretty compelling robotic vacuums and there are a lot to choose from. With a vast difference between the lower end, more affordable models and the smarter, connected, high end options, there are many factors to consider when deciding which model would be best for your household. We have compared the best of Eufy's RoboVac range here so you can find the right one for you.