Daily Tip: How to gift an iPhone or iPad app
Ever found the perfect iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad app for the perfect person and wondered how you could just buy it and give it to them, right then and there? Whether it's for the holidays, a birthday, or just because, Apple makes it easy to gift apps right from inside the App Store.
Gift an app from an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad
If you have an iOS device, you can gift apps right from within the App Store.
- Launch the App Store app
- Browse to app you wish to gift
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Gift This App
- A screen summarizing the app will appear. Tap Next.
- Fill out the form and tap Next
- Review the information and tap Buy Gift
- If you'd like to gift the app again, tap Gift Again; otherwise, tap Done.
Gift an app from iTunes on Windows or Mac
If you don't have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, you can gift apps right from iTunes on your desktop!
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Browse to the app you wish gift
- Click the arrow next to the app's price
- Click Gift This App
- Fill out the form and click Continue
- If everything on the summary screen is correct, click Buy Gift
If you have a U.S. iTunes account, you can only gift apps to other people with U.S. App Store accounts (or U.K. to U.K., or Canada to Canada, etc.). You can't gift internationally. If you really want to buy an app for someone who uses a different regional iTunes Store, you'll need to send them cash via PayPal or something similar, along with a note telling them to use it to buy the app you picked out for them.
There you have it! Now you're all set to buy iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad apps for your family and friends!
Daily Tips range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org.