Daily Tip: How to move your iTunes library to another hard drive
Is your hard drive coming dangerously close to being overrun with data? If you have a ton of stuff on your computer and your iTunes library isn't helping the situation out have no fear we are here to help! You can move your iTunes library to a different hard drive and have some precious memory left on your computer!
- Open up the iTunes Preferences and select the Advanced tab
- Ensure "Keep iTunes media folder organized" is checked
- Now on the right of the text box at the top (iTunes Media folder location) you will see a button that says Change... go ahead and click on it
- Select the location you want to store your iTunes library
- Go to File then Library and finally choose Organize Library...
- Make sure you select to consolidate files and click ok
- Once the transfer is complete you can delete the files from their original location and have some precious storage space back on your computer
It's that simple to get a good portion of your hard drive back from iTunes. Just be aware that if you do decide to do this and you in fact use an external hard drive that when you use iTunes and want to play music or sync music you will need to have the hard drive plugged into your computer to utilize all of the media.
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)
Have something to say about this story? Share your comments below! Need help with something else? Submit your question!