How to take photos with your iPhone or iPad
The Camera app on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad means you're never more than a swipe or tap or two from taking a picture and capturing a magic moment. While the camera app might look simple, there's a lot going on inside. It has auto-focus and auto-exposure, and both can be changed with just a tap of the screen. There are also options for high dynamic range (HDR), to switch between rear-facing and front-facing cameras, and even live filters and burst mode.
How to take pictures with the iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Camera app from your iPhone or iPad's Home screen.
- Move your iPhone or iPad around until what you see on the screen matches the image you want to capture.
- Rotate your iPhone or iPad from portrait to landscape or vice versa to change the orientation. (You'll the see the icons change as confirmation.)
- Tap the Shutter button to take your picture.
That's it! Your photo has now been taken and saved to the Camera Roll. You can access it at any time by launching the Photos app.
How to get more help with Camera for iPhone and iPad
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from the Lock screen
- How to quickly access your iPhone camera from Control Center
- How to take photos with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record a video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to record slow motion videos on your iPhone
- How to use the panorama camera on your iPhone
- How to take a photo using the volume up button with your iPhone or iPad
- How to take a photo while simultaneously shooting video with your iPhone or iPad
- How to quickly edit and share photos and videos from the camera app on iPhone and iPad
- How to use the camera flash on your iPhone
- How to use the HDR camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to switch between the rear iSight and front FaceTime camera on your iPhone or iPad
- How to lock focus in the Camera app for iPhone and iPad
- How to use burst mode to capture all the action with your iPhone camera
- How to preview camera filters in real-time on your iPhone
- How to enable the camera grid on your iPhone or iPad
- How to turn photo geotagging on or off on your iPhone or iPad
- Best camera apps for iPhone