Microsoft launches Office Mobile, brings subscription Word, PowerPoint, and Excel to iPhone
Microsoft has brought Office 365 -- excuse me, Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers -- to the iPhone, allowing anyone up-to-date with their fees to view and lightly edit Word, Excel, and PowerPoint docs on the go. Support is offered for charts, animations, SmartArt graphics, and shapes, and Microsoft claims that you don't lose any formatting when you edit on your iPhone. (You read that right, there's no iPad version, at least not yet.)
Here are the bullet points:
Access documents from virtually anywhere:
- Cloud – With your phone, you can access Office documents that are stored on SkyDrive, SkyDrive Pro, or SharePoint.**
- Recent Documents – Office Mobile is cloud-connected. The documents you’ve recently viewed on your computer are readily available on your phone in the recent documents panel.
- Email Attachments – You can view and edit Office documents attached to email messages.
Office documents look stunning:
- Great-Looking Documents - Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents look great on your phone, thanks to support for charts, animations, SmartArt Graphics, and shapes.
- Optimized for phone - Word, Excel and PowerPoint have been optimized for the small screen of your phone.
- Resume Reading - When opening a Word document from SkyDrive or SkyDrive Pro on your phone, it automatically resumes at the place where you left off reading, even if you last viewed the document on your PC or tablet.
- Presentation Views - The Slide Navigator view in PowerPoint lets you browse slides faster, while speaker notes help you practice your presentation.
Make quick edits and share:
- Edit - You can make quick edits to Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
- Documents Remain Intact - Formatting and content remain intact when you edit Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents on your phone.
- Edit While Offline - Your device doesn’t have to be continuously connected to the network to work on an Office document that is stored online. You can view and edit recently used documents even while you’re offline. Your changes will be saved online when your device reconnects to the network or to Wi-Fi.
- Create – You can create new Word and Excel documents on your phone.
- Comments - You can review comments that have been made in Word and Excel documents on your phone and add your own comments.
- Share - When you’re done with your edits or comments, simply send the document in email or save it to SkyDrive or SharePoint.
Microsoft Office for iPhone -- sorry, Office Mobile for Office 365 subscribers -- is free but does require a subscription to Office 365 as the name implies. I've let mine lapse but if any of you still have one, and take the new iPhone app for a spin, let me know -- how does it work for you?
Note: Only seems to be appearing in the US App Store right now, could be propagating still, or could be exclusive. Hopefully we'll find out soon.
- Free with subscription - Download now