What you need to know
- iOS 13.4 prevented some users from making FaceTime calls.
- It only affected those calling older versions of iOS and macOS.
- The iSO 13.4.1 release fixes everything.
Last week we reported that people using the newly released iOS 13.4 couldn't make FaceTime calls to people using devices with some versions of iOS and macOS installed. Thankfully, that's all fixed in iOS 13.4.1.
The release of iOS 13.4.1 brought with it a couple of bug fixes, but the one that will be best received relates to an issue preventing users of iOS 13.4 from FaceTime calling devices that had iOS 9.3.6 or macOS 10.11.6 or earlier installed. Those are likely to be old devices, so simply updating them isn't an option.
It also meant that people couldn't FaceTime loved ones during a global pandemic.
@AppleSupport updated my iPhone and iPad to iOS 13.4 yesterday and now cannot FaceTime my mother who has my old ipad3. She is in isolation due to her health and Covid19 and we have no way to FaceTime her now. Please fix this ASAP.— Neil B (@bertrum) March 28, 2020
It didn't take Apple long to get the fix out, which is a good thing. It's also likely that this slipped through the net because it's a use case that is simply unlikely to crop up during beta testing.
You can download iOS 13.4.1 now and I suggest you do that even if you aren't experiencing these issues. There's no telling what else Apple fixed under the hood.
- Everything you need to know about FaceTime
- How to make a FaceTime call from your iPhone or iPad
- How to make a FaceTime call on your Mac
- How to add additional numbers and email addresses
- How to turn off and restrict FaceTime
- How to block phone and FaceTime calls on iPhone or iPad
- How to block FaceTime calls and iMessages on the Mac
- How to set up and use call relay on your Mac
- How to record a FaceTime call on your iPhone or Mac
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Apple loses number one tablet spot to Huawei in China
Despite a surge in demand for tablets, shipments in China fell by 30% in the first quarter of 2020, and Apple lost its top spot to Huawei.
Apple's Sydney store to reopen May 28
Apple's newly-renovated flagship store on George St. in Sydney will reopen from Thursday, May 28, in line with social distancing guidelines and for limited hours.
Apple pushes tons of app updates to the App Store, hoping to make them work
Friday saw a lot of people reporting that they couldn't make iPhone and iPad apps launch anymore. There was a workaround, but Apple seems to be hoping to fix it by re-releasing a ton of app updates.
Get work done on the small screen with the best keyboards for iPad mini 5
Looking for some good keyboards to go with your iPad mini 5 (2019)? Here are some of our favorites!