iPhone 3.1: Non-Destructive Video Editing, Bluetooth Voice Control, Vibrating Icon Moves, and More!
Early word from TiPb commenters and the Twitter show some new iPhone 3.1 features found already:
- Non-destructive video editing means trimming a clip no longer saves over the original video but gives you the option to "Save as copy..."
- Voice Control now works over Bluetooth
- iPhone vibrates when moving icons
- Updated AT&T profile to 4.2
- Updated modem firmware to 5.08.01
Behind the scenes changes abound as well:
- Improvements to OpenGL and Quartz.
- APIs to allow third party apps to access videos and edit them.
Update: Yes, MMS buttons appear to be back for AT&T users, but as with early iphone 3.0 Betas, they're non-functional on standard devices. Whether they survive to the official release this time (they were removed in late 3.0 Betas), who knows?
[Thanks to Chris, Muero and WhenWillApple]
Get the best of iMore in your inbox, every day!
Rene Ritchie is one of the most respected Apple analysts in the business, reaching a combined audience of over 40 million readers a month. His YouTube channel, Vector, has over 90 thousand subscribers and 14 million views and his podcasts, including Debug, have been downloaded over 20 million times. He also regularly co-hosts MacBreak Weekly for the TWiT network and co-hosted CES Live! and Talk Mobile. Based in Montreal, Rene is a former director of product marketing, web developer, and graphic designer. He's authored several books and appeared on numerous television and radio segments to discuss Apple and the technology industry. When not working, he likes to cook, grapple, and spend time with his friends and family.
Your comment seems a bit out of place. They said it was coming in late summer, so I wouldn't expect it until August or later. I agree that it's a bit ridiculous that they can't have it on right now. (I find the claims about needing to manually "flip the switch" on each iPhone questionable.) But we've lived without it for this long, we should be able to go another few weeks.
So it seems that these features mainly improve iPhone 3GS functionality with little for the rest of us. I'm still hoping that an update adds a landscape weekly mode to the calendar app. A guy can dream...
Be forewarned, iPhone videos are really gonna flood the Internet!!
i get its a big task, but they realy should be ready by now. We pay huge bills every month , the least they could do is give us MMS. come on, its available on nearly every cell phone.
Thanks Rene, first with the goods again! Reminds us all why you guys are the best.
1 blocking the mms
2 is putting the right @carrier.net for all carriers that an iPhone user would need in the US
3 it means that Jason is a pesimist that believes nothing can happen before a stated date. Even though there was no date given just a later this summer. Well it's almost later already.
Also, some people get scammed or stuck when a dev won't/can't update them to later betas, so novice users should avoid at all costs.
1) download the carrier update http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/iphonetetheringfile...
2) open terminal type: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
3) open itunes connect iphone and hold option and click check for update
4)update with the file you just downloaded
5)reboot your phone and go to setting>general>network>cellular data
6)go down to MMS type in these setting respectively wap.cingular, firstname.lastname@example.org, CINGULAR1, mmsc.cingular.com, 220.127.116.11
7)restart you phone and you will have the mms icon and it will be working!!!
because I changed my carrier settings too, and i have an icon so i can send pictures, but every time i try i get an error message because like someone previously said AT&T blocks iphone users from sending MMS. We can, on our phones, but they block it with a code. its so rediculous.
you are correct
@JP: Thanks for the heads up. I'll call and give it a try but thus far, I've had zero luck getting AT&T to remove the MMS block. And I am a developer using the legit software.
This build overall is VERY solid. I've only been using it for a few hours but have encountered issues.
had a jailbreak during 2.2.1 and had numeric battery installed then upgraded to 3.0 and still had it but had the same one the 3gs has.. just updated to 3.1 and its gone.. must be apple trying to stop people from having that unofficial feature.
Love these tidbits of info.
Also, Pandora no longer works. No idea what the problem is there. Any suggestions?
Is it really to hard to implement it. The irealsms guys have done it with great success.
A lockscreen that uses widgets?
A way to organize apps?
A scrolling feature for safari?
You know something that could really change and expand the capabilities of the phone.
I completely agree. I hate how I have to do the "running thumbs" to scroll down, especially on TiPB comments!!!
With that said, I don't think any reasonable, common sense features such as quick reply and sbsettings will be implemented because, for some reason, Apple doesn't seem to be governed by logic and reason.
Thank God for jailbreaking!
If you haven't yet, try the new beta version of biteSMS. It is really slick (I believe the beta is 4.1, got to bitesms.com to get Cydia source).
I noticed irealsms isn't 3.0 supported yet, so I tried bitesms and love it!
I'll give it a go.
Downloaded and bought. Must have app for texters.
I'm experiencing the same issue. I contacted support at Pandora about it. You may want to do the same if you haven't already just so they know it's not an isolated incident on my phone, which I thought it was as there hasn't been a lot on the web about this.
I didn't notice differences elsewhere, but the actual black bar for the header is the same height, so that's kind of a weird thing to change.
I love 3.0 update, but there are still some things that need to be addressed. I listed the top 10 things that need attention:
1. 21 million phones have been sold, and all of those users only have 6 tones to notify them of texts? Plus, the of the 6 are awful. 2. Text signatures, there are 10 dollar phones out there that can assign a signature to all your texts, but the best phone in the world cannot do this. 3. Groups for emailing multiple people at once. (moblie me does this but it's not supported on the phone.) 4. Birthdays in your contacts are not considered a subscribed calendar, so you cannot add them to your iPhone. Please add birthdays in address book to calendar, complete with reminders. 5. AVI and WMP support. I would rarely even need to use mail if this worked! 6. Ability to delete files from the phone directly. 7. Fix ringtone reset for Mobile Me customers. 8. Quick disable for landscape. Sometimes my phone will keep switching from portrait to landscape, and it would be nice to turn this on and off. 9. Ability to quickly publish where you are to Mobile Me, Facebook, ect. 10. Add ability to delete one number in history without deleting them all! You can do this for text messages, for for phone numbers, you have only one option, deleting all numbers?
I've emailed Pandora, and have yet to receive a reply from them. I've seen a few posts on the developer forums re: the problem. Seems to be universal to all who installed 3.1. I miss Pandora...
Imean, they cant complain about the broadband space mms will take, cause all other phones have it, hand has had it since 8 years ago.. Very, very strang, AT&T that is..
MMS option is not implemented.
Repeat: NO MMS.