The Pokémon GO April Events have been announced, featuring new Pokémon and spring-themed events
What you need to know
- Giovanni has captured Shadow Zapdos and it's up to players to rescue it!
- New Mega- and Legendary Raids are coming in April.
- A variety of spring-themed events will be taking place throughout April.
Niantic has released details for the Pokémon GO April events on their blog. As was previously announced, during the month of April, players will have the opportunity to rescue Shadow Zapdos from Giovanni. Those who have not done so already should complete the Special Research from Team Rocket GO, "The Higher they Fly", in order to obtain a Super Rocket Radar. The Super Rocket Radar will also be made available during Special Research taking place in the first week of April.
Research Breakthrough Encounters from April 1 at 1:00 p.m. to May 1 at 1:00 p.m., will allow players to capture male Frillish.
Raid hours will happen throughout April, every Wednesday at 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. local time. The month of April will see a number of Legendary Pokémon appearing in five-star raids:
- Therian Forme Tornadus from March 30 to April 13.
- Therian Forme Landorus from April 13 to April 27.
- Incarnate Forme Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus from April 27, with chances of encountering a shiny.
The following Mega Raids will be available until April 4:
- Mega Houndoom
- Mega Abomasnow
- Mega Manectric
- A surprise Mega Pokémon!
These Mega Pokémon will be available in Mega Raids from April 5 to April 20:
- Mega Gengar
- Mega Manectric
Finally, these Mega Raids will take over from April 20:
- Mega Venusaur
- Mega Abomasnow
Spotlight Hours throughout April will feature:
- April 6: Buneary and double Transfer Candy
- April 13: Mankey and double Evolution XP
- April 20: Grimer and double Catch Stardust
- April 27: Finneon and double Catch XP
Snivy will be the featured Pokémon for Community Day on April 11. Evolving Servine during Community Day hours will reward players with a Serperior that knows the move Frenzy Plant.
That's not all, though, as additional events were also announced:
- Team Rocket GO Timed Research: From April 1 to April 8, granting those who complete it a Super Rocket Radar which can be used to summon Giovanni.
- Spring into Spring: From April 4 to April 8, Chansey, Blissey, and Happiny will be wearing flower crowns. There will also be more spring- and egg-themed content during this event.
- Rivals' Week: From April 13 to April 18, Pokémon that are rivals to each other will be making more appearances, some of whom will be available for the first time in the game.
- Sustainability Week: From April 20 to April 25, Grimer, Trubbish and other themed Pokémon will be making an appearance in the wild.
- Friendship Day: On April 24, a friendship-themed event will be taking place!
- The end of April will see a surprise event that continues into May! We'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as more news are revealed.
The Season of Legends has been fantastic so far, and April is looking just as bright. Which event are you most looking forward to? If you're planning to head out on the town to catch 'em all, be sure to have a look at our Pokémon GO accessories guide for anything that may help you on your journey!
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Nadine is a freelance writer for iMore with a specialty in all things Nintendo, often working on news, guides, reviews, and editorials. She's been a huge Nintendo fan ever since she got to pet her very own Nintendog, and enjoys looking at Nintendo's place in the video game industry. Writing is her passion, but she mostly does it so that she can pay off her ever-growing debt to Tom Nook. Her favorite genres are simulation games, rhythm games, visual novels, and platformers. You can find her at @stopthenadness on Twitter, where she'll more than likely be reposting cute Animal Crossing content.