Mega Evolution has finally arrived in Pokémon Go and with it, Mega Raids! A whole new class of Raids, Mega Raids let you and your friends challenge a Mega Evolved Pokémon. These are some of the most challenging Raids yet, but we here at iMore got your back! Mega Abomasnow is coming back and we have everything you need to know to take on its Mega Raid. Also, be sure to check out our best Pokémon Go accessories, so you can be fully equipped for your Pokémon Journey!
Who is Mega Abomasnow in Pokémon Go?
Originally encountered in the Sinnoh region of Gen IV, the Frost Tree Pokémon Abomasnow is a Grass and Ice type based on the Abominable Snowman or Yeti. Along with its first stage, Snover, Abomasnow is also the only Pokémon with Ice and Grass typing. Although Abomasnow is a force to be reckoned with, capable of creating massive blizzards, it prefers to live far from humans, isolated or with Snover which it protects from Galarian Darumaka.
In Pokémon Go, Mega Abomasnow is the only Ice type Mega Pokémon available and expected to remain the best even after Mega Glalie arrives. It's not so great as a Grass type, unable to compete with Mega Venusaur in most cases, but you'll definitely want to stock up on Mega Energy for its Ice utility.
What are the best counters for Mega Abomasnow in Pokémon Go?
As a Grass and Ice type, Mega Abomasnow has seven weaknesses, including Fighting, Flying, Poison, Rock, Bug, Steel, and Fire. However, it has a double weakness to Fire. This, along with the fact that some of the most powerful Fire types in the game are Mega Evolutions or Shadow Pokémon means you'll want to focus on Fire types. Mega Abomasnow has access to Grass, Ice, and Dragon type moves, with Ice and Dragon putting Dragon type counters at a disadvantage.
Mega Charizard Y
One of two Mega Evolutions of Gen I's Fire starter, Mega Charizard Y is a Fire and Flying type and easily, the top counter for Mega Abomasnow. It has a double resistance to Grass type moves and no weaknesses Mega Abomasnow can take advantage of. While there are other options for Mega Evolved Pokémon to bring to this fight, if you have the choice, Mega Charizard Y is who you should go with. Fire Spin and Blast Burn is the ideal moveset for this Mega Raid.
Mega Charizard X
The other Mega Evolution for Charizard, Mega Charizard X doesn't perform quite as well as Mega Charizard Y because of its Dragon typing. It still has double resistance to Abomasnow's Grass type attacks, but it has a double weakness to the Dragon type move Outrage. Still, if you already have it Mega Evolved, it will perform very well against Mega Abomasnow, while boosting other Fire type counters. Fire Spin and Blast Burn is still the ideal moveset for this Mega Raid.
If you don't have the Mega Energy to bring Mega Charizard Y to this Mega Raid or you already have Mega Houndoom ready, this Fire and Dark type Pokémon makes for an excellent counter to Mega Abomasnow. It takes reduced damage from both Grass and Ice type attacks and has no weaknesses Mega Abomasnow can exploit. Fire Fang and Flamethrower are the moves you'll want your Mega Houndoom to know for this Mega Raid.
The mascot of Pokémon Black, Reshiram was originally discovered in the Unova region of Gen V. Although it's had limited availability, Reshiram's second run in raids started just before Mega Abomasnow's return, so there's a good chance most active players have at least one. As a Fire and Dragon type, it has a double resistance to Grass type moves, but a weakness to Dragon type damage. Fire Fang and Overheat is the moveset you'll want your Reshiram to know.
Originally discovered in the Gen V Unova region, Darmanitan is a interesting Pokémon with multiple formes and regional variants. However, the original forme is the one you'll want for this fight. Darmanitan only has one other stage, Darumaka, which is pretty common, so you probably already have at least one powered up. As a Fire type, it takes reduced damage from Grass and Ice type moves and has no weaknesses Mega Abomasnow can exploit. You'll want your Darmanitan to know Fire Fang and Overheat for this Mega Raid.
A Ghost and Fire type from the Gen V Unova region, Chandelure makes a great counter for Mega Abomasnow. Its first stage, Litwick has been featured in multiple events and has been a priority for many Trainers, so odds are you already have a couple. It has no weaknesses Mega Abomasnow can take advantage of and it takes reduced damage from Grass and Ice. Fire Spin and Overheat are the ideal moves for this Mega Raid.
A Fire and Steel type Legedary Pokémon, Heatran was originally encountered in the Sinnoh region of Gen IV. It resists all of Mega Abomasnow's attacks, having a double resistance to Ice and Grass which adds to its already tank-like status. It's been available a couple times, so most players have at least one already. If you're bringing Heatran to this fight, you'll want Fire Spin for the fast attack and Flamethrower for the charged attack.
A Legendary Fire type from Gen II's Johto region, Entei has been available a number of times in raids, as Research Breakthrough Rewards, and even as of of the Legendary Shadow Pokémon captured by Giovanni. Many players have entire teams of this Legendary Beast. As a strictly Fire type, it takes reduced damage from Ice and Grass type moves and has no weaknesses Mega Abomasnow can exploit. Fire Fang and Overheat are the moves you'll want your Entei to know for this Mega Raid.
Even more common than Entei, the Gen I Legendary bird Moltres performs quite well in this Mega Raid and most players have several of them already powered up. As a Fire and Flying type, Moltres has a double resistance to Grass type moves and no weaknesses for Mega Abomasnow to exploit. Fire Spin and Overheat are the ideal moveset for this Mega Raid.
The Fire and Fighting type starter from Gen III's Hoenn region, Blaziken is another excellent counter for a Fire based offensive. Its first stage, Torchic has been featured in events, including Community Day, and is pretty common otherwise, so most players have more than a few Blaziken already powered up for this fight. As a Fire and Fighting type, Blaziken takes reduced damage from Grass and Ice type moves and has no weaknesses Mega Abomasnow can take advantage of. Fire Spin and Blast Burn are the moves you'll want your Blaziken to know.
Another Fire starter, Emboar is the final evolution of Gen V's Tepig. Emboar is also a Fire and Fighting type, so like Blaziken, it resists both Grass and Ice type damage. It's also had the Community Day treatment, so most active players have had the chance to add Emboar to their roster. If you are bringing Emboar to this fight, you;ll want it to know Ember and Blast Burn.
Last but not least, the Mythical Pokémon, Victini is a great choice to face Mega Abomasnow. Like many Mythicals in Pokémon Go, Victini is limited to one per account, so some players may struggle to fully power it up. It's a Fire and Psychic type, giving it resistance to Grass and Ice type moves, and no relevant weaknesses. Quick Attack and V Create are the moves you'll want your Victini to know for this Mega Raid.
Although most players will be able to make a team of the best counters, if you're finding a gap in your team, there are plenty of back ups who work well in larger groups. Just make sure you're dodging and any of the following could be a decent back up:
- Charizard with Fire Spin and Blast Burn
- Typhlosion with Incinerate and Blast Burn
- Flareon with Fire Spin and Overheat
- Infernape with Fire Spin and Blast Burn
- Ho-Oh with Incinerate and Fire Blast
- Arcanine with Fire Fang and Flamethrower
- Magmortar with Fire Spin and Fire Punch
- Pyroar with Fire Fang and Overheat
- Delphox with Fire Spin and Flamethrower
- Houndoom with Fire Fang and Flamethrower
- Mewtwo with Psycho Cut and Flamethrower
- Genesect (Burn Drive) with Fury Cutter and Techno Blast (Burn)
- Simisear with Fire Spin and Flamethrower
- Heatmor with Fire Spin and Flamethrower
- Mega Gengar with Lick and Sludge Bomb
- Mega Beedrill with Bug Bite and Sludge Bomb
- Mega Lopunny with Low Kick and Fire Punch
- Rapidash with Fire Spin and Fire Blast
- Ninetales with Fire Spin and Weather Ball
- Salamence with Fire Fang and Fire Blast
- Metagross with Bullet Punch and Meteor Mash
- Lucario with Counter and Aura Sphere
- Terrakion with Smack Down and Sacred Sword
- Zacian (Hero of Many Battles forme) with Fire Fang and Close Comabt
The rebalance of Shadow Pokémon rescued from Team GO Rocket make them excellent glass cannons. Not only are their stats boosted, but during special events or with Elite TMs, it's possible to change their moves. If you happen to have any of the following Pokémon with the right moveset, they will work very well in this Raid:
- Shadow Entei with Fire Fang and Overheat
- Shadow Moltres with Fire Spin and Overheat
- Shadow Charizard with Fire Spin and Blast Burn
- Shadow Magmortar with Fire Spin and Fire Punch
- Shadow Arcanine with Fire Fang and Flamethrower
- Shadow Ho-Oh with Incinerate and Fire Blast
- Shadow Houndoom with Fire Fang and Flamethrower
- Shadow Mewtwo with Psycho Cut and Flamethrower
- Shadow Metagross with Bullet Punch and Meteor Mash
- Shadow Ninetales with Fire Spin and Weather Ball
- Shadow Salamence with Fire Fang and Fire Blast
Note: Shadow Entei and Shadow Moltres and Shadow Charizard outperform all of the best non-Mega counters. Although a Fire based offensive is the best option here, if there happens to be a Mega Gengar, Mega Beedrill, or Mega Lopunny on the field, the Mega Boost they provide can make Poison, Bug, or Fighting types more competitive.
How many players does it take to beat Mega Abomasnow in Pokémon Go?
As far as Raids go, the attack strategy for Mega Abomasnow is fairly straight forward: bring your best Fire types. That having been said, while it is possible for two top level Trainers with Mega Evolution on their side to tackle this Mega Raid, you'll want to bring as many Trainers as possible. No only will it save you on Revives and Potions, but the faster you beat a Mega Raid, the more Mega Energy you get.
Weather Conditions that could play into this battle include:
- Snow will boost Mega Abomasnow's Ice type attacks, as well as the rare Steel type counters.
- Sunny/Clear Weather will boost Mega Abomasnow's Grass type attacks, as well as your Fire type counters.
- Wind will boost Mega Abomasnow's Dragon type move, as well as Flying type counters, although even Mega Pidgeot doesn't make our back up list, so odds are Flying types aren't in your Raiding party.
- Cloudy weather will boost Fighting and Poison type counters which aren't recommended this go round.
- Partly Cloudy weather will boost Rock type counters, which also aren't recommended this go round.
- Rain will boost Bug type counters, which also aren't recommended this go round.
Questions about Mega Abomasnow in Pokémon Go?
Do you have any questions about Mega Abomasnow in Pokémon Go? Got any tips for your fellow Trainers? Let us know in the comments below, and be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex