On tap for today's TiPb Top 5, we thought we'd cater to all of our iPhone and iPod touch wielding readers who enjoy action games. Just like our TiPb's top 5 must-have board games, all of these games are available in the App Store, this time under categories - games - action. And even better, all of them are very reasonably priced. For the full run down, follow us after the break!
This first game is based off of one of the first first person shooters (FPS) ever, DOOM. DOOM holds a place in the hearts of every hardcore FPS fan out there. With DOOM Resurrection, Id has raised the bar for all other developers to follow with their reincarnation of a classic action game. With a fresh story line, great visuals, and simple yet very effective control scheme this is one game you'll want to take a look at.
- Advanced graphics engine designed from the ground up to take full advantage of the power found in Apples mobile devices
- Wield an arsenal of heavy-hitting weapons to defeat a variety of hideous monsters and bosses
- Innovative controls for fast-paced and accessible first-person action
- An all-new chapter of the DOOM saga that new players and long-time DOOM fans can enjoy
DOOM Ressurection is available for $6.99. [iTunes Link]
This next game just so happens to have a lot in common with DOOM Resurrection - it too was created by Id and is based off of a classic first person shooter. Wolfenstein RPG is not your typical FPS or RPG for that matter, it is a perfect combination of both genres - FPS and RPG elements are blended in nicely with great controls and sharp graphics. And don't forget, the chicken-kicking mini-games are here...
- Arsenal of 16 weapons including Spiked Brass Knuckles, a Submachine Gun, and Dynamite. Tap and swipe to punch, kick, and shoot. Use the accelerometer to take down the Axis Agents from a distance with a powerful sniper rifle.
- Fight your way through 9 levels and 8+ hours of Wolfenstein action!
- High-res graphics suspended in a 3D world immerse you in the mayhem.
- Face 32 enemies you'll love to vanquish! Battle elite soldiers, zombies flaming skeletons, and other bizarre Id creations.
Wolfenstein RPG is available for $2.99. [iTunes Link]
Modern Combat: Sandstorm
Gameloft has really stepped up into one of the leading developers for the iPhone platform with 35 game titles. Their latest game, Modern Combat: Sandstorm, definitely does not disappoint. When I played Modern Combat: Sandstorm I immediately thought of the popular console franchise Call of Duty. And that alone speaks volumes.
- Use a wide range of authentic, advanced weapons (2 assault rifles, sniper rifle, RPG, shotgun, submachine gun, light machine gun, heavy machine gun mounted on a moving 4X4, explosive grenades, flashbang grenades, radiation detector) enriched with a leveling system that allows the player to progressively unlock weapons and use munitions from fallen foes
- Highly polished 3D graphics provide full immersion into the military experience and high intensity combat
- 10 missions featuring varied and highly polished Middle Eastern environments (city, hospital, sewers, port, lab, training camp, etc.)
Modern Combat: Sandstorm is available for $6.99 [iTunes Link]
For those of you who enjoy a good top-down survival shooter once in a while, Alive 4-Ever is a good pick for you. The object is simple - shoot and kill any zombie that gets in your way. Fight your way through 30 levels whether it's slaying a certain amount of zombies or a simple rescue mission, the action never comes to a halt.
- 16 different types of weapons, which include AK-47, M16 etc. Players can also buy their favorite weapons with the gold they get after each mission. You would have to get the strongest weapon fast enough to save all the survivors!
- Alive 4-ever uses the Bluetooth function of OS 3.0 to connect you with your friends and families so that completing missions has never been easier!
- Alive 4-ever uses the best graphics with excellent battle, visual, sound and music effects that runs smoothly despite yours is an iPhone or iPod touch.
- Alive 4-ever provides 30 missions for players, which includes eliminating a given amount of zombies, rescuing survivors in a given time frame, getting vaccines, boss battles, etc.
Alive 4-Ever is available for $.99. [iTunes Link]
Resident Evil Degeneration
Capcom's Resident Evil series has proven itself to be one of the most successful video game franchises of all time. Resident Evil Degeneration is a survival horror game based on the CG-animated movie of the same name. With that eerie Resident Evil feel along with great visuals and a slick control system you are bound to have an excellent survival horror experience.
- Use your in-game PDA to collect intel, manage inventory and access maps.
- "Laser targeting" allows the players to make aimed accurate shots.
- Backgrounds, character models and objects are all rendered in full 3D.
- Accelerometer features: Shake iPhone to "Shake of Zombie" melee attacks. Tilt back device to reload.
Resident Evil Degeneration is available for $6.99. [iTunes Link]
There you have it, TiPb’s Top 5 Must-Have iPhone action games. Did we miss any of your favorites? Overlook any killer action game? Drop us a comment and let us know your list!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.