Apple has begun allowing Apple Watch apps into the App Store ahead of April 10 pre-orders.
While developers can't upload Apple Watch-enabled apps on their own yet, some of the apps shown off in Apple's demos and on the company's web site have clearly been given the green light. That Apple Watch functionality is mentioned in the description indicates it's unabashed as well — what better way to keep interest high then to show the app wheels in motion? Additionally, if Apple is seeding Apple Watch review units in advance of April 10, having apps available will lead to better informed reviews. As teases go, it's a good one.
So, which apps have been updated with Apple Watch functionality?
- Babbel - Babbel brings its language learning experience to your wrist by surfacing new words as you go about your day.
- Dark Sky - The popular hyper-local weather app brings its accurate forecasting to your wrist.
- ECB Cricket - ECB Cricket will bring full scorecards and alerts about your favorite Cricket teams right to your wrist.
- Evernote - Evernote on the Apple Watch lets you dictate notes, view your recently-created notes, search, and create reminders.
- Expedia - Expedia brings flight and hotel reservation alerts right to your wrist.
- Kitchen Stories - Kitchen Stories will let you browse your shopping list, set timers, and discover new recipes without having to take your phone out of your pocket.
- Lifesum - Lifesum will help you track and log your food intake and activity levels throughout the day.
- Line - Line brings its popular messaging experience to the Apple Watch with notifications.
- MLB At Bat - MLB At Bat serves up score and news notifications about your favorite MLB teams.
- New York Times - The New York Times will keep you up to date with the latest news through notifications.
- Peak Brain Training - Peak Brain Training will test your memory with three new games just for the Apple Watch.
- Procreate Pocket - The wrist-bound version of the iPhone sketching app serves as a digital artists palette, letting you choose colors, switch tools, and more while working in the app on your iPhone.
- Qantas Airways - Quantas Airways will keep you informed on your flights via notifications.
- Redfin - Redfin will alert you to nearby homes for sale and dictate notes about homes you're touring.
- Rules! - Rules! on the Apple Watch lets you play mini-games with daily goals.
- Runtastic Six Pack - Runtastic Six Pack will whip you into shape with guided workouts from your Apple Watch.
- Sky Guide - Sky Guide's Apple Watch app view a calendar of upcoming astronomical events, get notifications about these events, and alert you when the International Space Station is about to fly over.
- SPG Starwood Hotels and Resorts - SPG Starwood Hotels and Resorts will let you access your stay details and even enable keyless entry in your hotel room with your Apple Watch.
- Target - The Target app lets you add items to your list and find aisle locations for items. The app's glance lets you swipe up from the watch face to see when your store is open and how many items are on your list.
- The Wall Street Journal - The Wall Street Journal will bring news alerts and market data straight to your wrist.
- Things - The to-do app lets Apple Watch users view existing tasks, create new ones, and more.
- Transit App - You can quickly view departure times right on your wrist.
- Twitter - Twitter has been updated to let you tweet, retweet, reply, and favorite on your Apple Watch.
- WeChat - WeChat will let you read and reply to messages right from the Apple Watch.
- Wunderlist - Wunderlist puts your most important lists front and center, and gives you access to your agenda and reminders right on the Apple Watch.
- Yahoo Tourney - Yahoo Tourney brings fantasy sports action to your wrist with notifications about how your team is doing, and even lets you send messages to your league.
Note: You won't be able to use any Apple Watch-specific functionality until you actually have an Apple Watch, of course. That'll be April 24 in first-wave launch countries. Check out our FAQ and buyers guide for more.