While navigating and selecting with the Apple TV remote control works fine, trying to enter a search term or a password is tedious and frustrating. The Remote app can help ease the pain, but nothing beats a real keyboard when it comes to typing. Luckily, Apple makes it possible to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV so that you never have to struggle again!
How to use a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV
Before beginning, keep in mind that not all Bluetooth keyboards will work. Most will but some keys may not function if they don't use Apple's layout. Mostly all Apple wireless Bluetooth keyboards should work just fine.
- Make sure your keyboard is On and Discoverable.
- Click on Settings from the main menu of your Apple TV.
- Now click on General.
- Now choose Bluetooth.
- Your Apple TV should find your keyboard. Click on it in the list of Bluetooth devices your Apple TV finds.
- A four-digit code should appear on the screen of your TV. Enter it on your keyboard.
- If the pairing was successful, you should now see the word Connected next to your keyboard in the Bluetooth menu of your Apple TV.
You should now be able to use your Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV.
How to get more help with your Apple TV
If you need any additional help or have specific questions check out our Apple TV Forum!
- How to automatically set up your Apple TV using an iPhone or iPad
- How to manually set up your Apple TV using the hardware remote
- How to use VoiceOver on your Apple TV
- How to pair an Apple remote with your Apple TV
- How to use shortcuts on your Apple TV remote
- How to access the chapter menu on the Apple TV
- How to control your Apple TV with the Remote app for iPhone or iPad
- How to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Apple TV
- How to hide channels on your Apple TV main menu
- How to AirPlay video from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV
- How to use Control Center to AirPlay videos to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to your Apple TV
- How to use AirPlay to mirror your Mac screen to your Apple TV
- How to watch iTunes Extras on your Apple TV
- How to use Home Sharing to access your iTunes library on your Apple TV
- How to manually check for software updates on an Apple TV
- How to fix a glitchy Apple TV by restoring it to factory settings
- How to fix a bricked Apple TV by restoring it with iTunes