If you've got a supported iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 7, you can quickly and easily set up any 3rd generation Apple TV wirelessly, no awkward silver remotes required. By using the Bluetooth LE connection in both your Apple TV and your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can transfer your iTunes account info and wireless network settings in just seconds. Here's how:
What you need
- A 3rd generation Apple TV running Apple TV 6.0 software or later
- A supported iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 7 or later, iPhone 4 and iPad 2 are not supported
How to set up a 3rd gen Apple TV with any iOS 7 enabled device
- Enable Bluetooth on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it isn't already. You can do this by swiping up in Control Center and toggling it on or by entering the Settings panel and turning it on from there.
- With your 3rd generation Apple TV on the language selection screen, put your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch within 6 inches or so of the actual Apple TV unit and make sure you keep it there. Apple says to touch your device to your Apple TV but in my experience, being within 6 inches or so away always works.
- Your iOS device will prompt you to enter your iTunes username and password. Do that now.
- Select whether or not you'd like the Apple TV to remember your iTunes credentials.
- The last question is whether or not you'd like Apple to be able to collect usage information. This step is your personal decision. Just make your selection to continue.
- Now just keep your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch within range of your Apple TV to let it finish pulling your settings.
Once it's done your WiFi password and iTunes account will both be linked for you which bypasses the awkward silver remote stage that used to be required in order to set up an Apple TV. You should now be on the main screen of your Apple TV which is now ready for use.
Apple recommends staying within 10-15 feet during the setup process. I'd say it's safer to stay closer to 5 feet as the first time I tried, it failed and I was only around 10 feet away.
If you've tried remote setup for your 3rd gen Apple TV, let us know how it went in the comments!