The moment Apple announced an iPad Air, every geek worth the name immediately began to wonder about the possibility of an iPad Pro — or iPad Air Plus. Rumor had it that Apple was considering a 13-inch (or 12.9-inch to be precise) tablet, something that might appeal to creative and business professionals for whom bigger really is better.
Introduced on September 9, 2015 at Apple's annual event in San Francisco, the iPad Pro is the biggest iOS device to date. With a 12.9-inch retina display, the iPad Pro reels in at 2732x2048 with 5.6-million pixels — more than the 15-inch MacBook Pro. It's just 6.9mm thin and weighs in at 1.57lbs.
Inside, it's powered by the 3rd-generation A9X processor, offering 2x the memory bandwith of the A8X. To add to the immersive experience, Apple has also added a 4-speaker audio system for the first time in an iOS device, and it puts out 3x the volume of the iPad 2.
iPad Pro Specs
- OS: iOS 9
- Screen Size: 12.9 inch
- Screen Resolution: 2732x2048 @ 264ppi
- Screen Type: LED-backlit widescreen Multi-Touch display
- Processor: A9X chip with 64‑bit architecture
- Coprocessor: M9 motion coprocessor
- Storage: 32GB / 128GB
- Cellular: 128GB
- Front Camera: 1.2MP photos, ƒ/2.2 aperture, 720p HD video recording, Backside illumination, Auto HDR photos and videos, Improved face detection, Burst mode, Exposure control, Timer mode
- Rear Camera: 8MP iSight camera, Autofocus, ƒ/2.4 aperture, Five-element lens, Hybrid IR ﬁlter, Backside illumination, Improved face detection, Exposure control, Panorama (up to 43MP), Burst mode, Tap to focus, Photo geotagging, Timer mode
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2 technology
- Wi-Fi: Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
- GPS: Digital Compass, iBeacon microlocation
- Sensors: Touch ID, Three-axis gyro, Accelerometer, Barometer, Ambient light sensor
- Fingerprint: Touch ID
- Height : 12 inches
- Width: 8.68 inches
- Thickness: .27 inches
- Weight : 1.57 pounds
- Battery: 3850mAh
The iPad Pro also features a Smart Connector that allows for accessory connections, like that of the Smart Keyboard. Also available is the Apple Pencil — an Apple stylus that makes the iPad Pro do all kinds of awesome. Apple Pencil uses force and multiple sensors to perform various actions that are incredibly low-latency and extremely accurate.
The iPad Pro 32GB will be available in Novemberin Silver, Gold, and Space Grey starting at $749.